Is my swordtail pregnant or not?

helenakroot

Hi! I have a question.
I have only one female swordtail (other one died like 2 weeks ago) and shes becoming more bigger and her belly is turning into a square kind of shape. She also has like kind of a dark gravid spot, but not that dark. I’m thinking that she is pregnant but I’m not sure and I don’t want to stress her out by putting her in a breeding box. She’s been pregnant before but then I’ve lost all the fry and this time I really want to keep it. I will post pictures of her and maybe someone can help me and say if she is actually pregnant or am I imagining things . And also what shall I do with her to keep the fry. Thanks!

Attachments

• F4AC3542-5188-454F-ACF2-99B59254A405.jpeg
    F4AC3542-5188-454F-ACF2-99B59254A405.jpeg
    73.9 KB · Views: 20
  • 25B51093-5E8A-479A-BC11-CBF3763E8962.jpeg
    25B51093-5E8A-479A-BC11-CBF3763E8962.jpeg
    235 KB · Views: 20

LeafY4life77

She looks pregnant. If you want to keep the fry you can have her give birth in another tank, and then move her back when you see fry. If that is not an option I would let her give birth in your current tank and scoop the fry out. You might loose your fry from this, but you won't stress her. And each batch of fry will expand (I think) as she becomes pregnant time after time.

Upvote 0

helenakroot

She looks pregnant. If you want to keep the fry you can have her give birth in another tank, and then move her back when you see fry. If that is not an option I would let her give birth in your current tank and scoop the fry out. You might loose your fry from this, but you won't stress her. And each batch of fry will expand (I think) as she becomes pregnant time after time.
Ok thanks! Another question then. How do I safely scoop the fry?

Upvote 0

JtheFishMan

Yes, definitely let her deliver in the main tank. You can add more floating or normal plants and decor for the mother (it will keep her calm) and for the fry (gives them hiding spots until you can scoop them out).

It's a good thing you don't put her in a breeding box, like you said, because it can heavily stress her out and cause her to abort. And yes, it's true that the batches relatively expand from each delivery.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
30 Gallon Tank Swordtail Pregnant?
Replies
Views
Fishboy32
Replies
Views
LeafY4life77
Replies
Views