Is My Swordtail Close To Giving Birth? Question

Discussion in 'Breeding Fish' started by Courtney Harrison, Dec 8, 2018 at 3:24 PM.

1. Courtney HarrisonNew MemberMember

Hey everyone! I am new to having my own tropical fish tank. So I am not sure If my swordtail is pregnant and if so how long until she will give birth? What should I do if she does give birth? This was an unexpected pregnancy so I do not have a breeding box. I have a 60 litre tank (13 gallons). Any help would be great!
    Fish In the tank at the moment, If this helps.
    • 3 mollies (2 females and 1 male)
    • 2 swordfish (female and male)
    • 2 siamese fighting fish (2 females, they are good with other fish)
    • 4 guppies (2 female and 2 male)
    • 2 rosy barbs (female and male)
    • pleco sucker fish
    • cory catfish bottom feeder
    • and 2 other bottom feeders leopard type.

Attached Files:

2. Bob726

Bob726Valued MemberMember

I think your tank is a bit overstocked although I might be wrong
    Edit: I can't help you with your problem.Sorry

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018 at 6:16 PM
  3. OP
    OP
    C

Courtney HarrisonNew MemberMember

Iv had this fish tank up and running for 4 months and not added any since and they are all seemed to be settle. And is my swordtail pregnant by looking at the images?

4. Bob726

I think so but I don't know.
    I might be wrong so I apologize in advance.

5. OP
    OP
    C

do you have a rough idea how old?

6. Bob726

7. VeiltailKing

VeiltailKingWell Known MemberMember

Your tank is WAY overstocked. You have major stocking problems... Would you like me to address them?

With both male and female mollies and male and female swordtails you will definitely have babies. This will make you even more overstocked.

8. Donnerjay

DonnerjayWell Known MemberMember

Hi Courtney, welcome to Fishlore!

Yes, your swordtail is pregnant. I think she still has a few weeks to go yet. When her belly takes on a boxy shape, then she is close to giving birth.

9. OP
    OP
    C

Well when I went to the fish shop I said how many fish can I fit in a 60 litre and they said 30 I’m not going to buy anymore and non of my fish have died and are swimming freely

Ok thanks for the advice. Iv just gone online and typed in how to make a breeding box and there was loads on get a big bottle cut it in half and put holes in it with a handle to hold on could I keep my little ones safe in the bottle ? Then after a few weeks I could give them to the fish shop or sell them...

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2018 at 1:00 AM
  10. Bob726

Pet stores rarely give correct advice so you should research it by yourself instead of just going with what the staff at the pet store tell you.

11. OP
    OP
    C

True, but he said he had has 30 years expired with salt water freshwater fish and he had ran that shop for 25 years ... he had anoutb40 fish in a small tank but I guess that’s because they are selling them?

12. Bob726

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice