Is My Snail Dead?

1. a

abheeshs Valued Member Member

How to tell if my mystery snail is dying/dead? It haven't moved for the last 24 hours. I poked it, nothing. I tried to pull back the cover, it went more deep inside.

2. el337

el337 Fishlore Legend Member

You'll know immediately if it's dead by smelling it. But if it actually retreated back further into its shell, it's alive. Sometimes they take naps so I would keep a close eye for a few more days. And try not to poke or mess with it.

3. OP
    OP
    a

I normally won't bother when it plays dead for a whole day, but this time it has been more than that. And I am changing my pH.

4. el337

Why are you changing your pH?

5. aquatickeeper

aquatickeeper Fishlore VIP Member

Better not to change your pH unless your water is too acidic or alkaline or if you are keeping wild caught or sensitive fish that do not live in your tap water's pH.

6. OP
    OP
    a

I have STS which pulls down my pH, using baking soda to counter it.

7. el337

Sorry, STS?

8. OP
    OP
    a

Sorry, Safe-T-Sorb.

9. el337

What does your pH get to without the baking soda? As long as it stays stable, I wouldn't bother with it. Constant pH fluctuations will kill your inhabitants.

10. OP
    OP
    a

It went to 6.2 from 7 in couple days. Now back up to 6.8. I need to monitor it until the substrate is saturated.

Can it be lack of food for the snail? I don't feed them anything. Is algae wafers safe?

11. el337

I'm not really familiar with STS and what it does but I suggest getting a liquid KH/GH test kit. That's a huge drop in pH and very dangerous to fish/inverts. I'm guessing you have a low to non-existent KH which is what regulates your pH. You want at least 5dKH to keep your pH stable. You'll want to test the GH too as inverts need very hard water (at least 9/10 dGH). If you do find you have a low KH/GH, adding things like crushed coral, cuttlebone, limestone and crushed shells will stabilize your pH and increase your KH/GH.

Definitely feed your mystery snail.. they're not like other snails where they can get by without nothing being fed to them. I would drop in a fresh veggie that's been washed really well every day. They love zucchini, spinach, cucumber and unsalted canned green beans. Algae wafers are fine too.

12. OP
    OP
    a

Last time I tested, my GH/KH was 25/20.

13. el337

Too low. Definitely add one or more of the things suggested above to increase both.

14. OP
    OP
    a

Thank you, now I understand it was in ppm not gKH.

Where can I get these materials?

15. el337

16. OP
    OP
    a

Can I put a full cuttlebone in my 10g tank? Will it cause too much swing?

17. el337

You can add the whole thing in. It will slowly dissolve enough to increase the amount of carbonates needed.

18. OP
    OP
    a

Awesome, thanks!

on a related note, the snail is up and about :)

19. el337

Great news!

20. OP
    OP
    a

It finally died, don't know why!