Is my Silver Molly pregnant? Question

1. SammyCat98 Initiate Member

Hello!
    I've noticed that my silver molly looks larger than usual. My tank is a 30 gallon tank and includes the molly, a platy, and a betta. If she is pregnant, how long until she gives birth and should I put her in my three way breeding box now? Also, my tank has a lot of plants, including a shallow grass.
    Here are some pictures:
    DSC02157-1600.jpg
    DSC02159-1600.jpg
    DSC02158-1600.jpg
    Thank you!
    PS: I have seen her acting strangely as well such as hanging around near the heater and staying away from all the other fish. She just seems a little jumpy. :;dk

2. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

If she's been with males then yes she'll be pregnant & she does look it.
    They store sperm so she could have several broods in the next few months
    Hard to say how long she has to go but watch for her looking like she's swallowed a box, as soon after that she'll give birth.
    I preferred not to use breeding traps as it can stress the female & she could abort her fry, I left the females in the main tank & netted out any fry I saw.
    If you have plenty of hiding places in the tank then some will survive, & given they can drop 30+ fry every 30 days or so if you saved them all you'd soon be overstocked.

3. smee82 Well Known Member Member

They are usually not separated from males in the shop so there is a high chance she is preggers and if she is she s still a few week away from dropping fry.

Personally I would just leave her and any fry in the tank, If they survive they survive otherwise you will be overrun.

4. SammyCat98 Initiate Member

Thank you both so much! I will make sure to keep an eye out for that box-like shape! Also, I'll just leave her in the tank for now then. I will probably not use the breeding box because my tank has many places to hide and like smee82 said, I would probably be overrun with fry. I didn't know they could drop that many!
    Again, thank you Coradee and smee82 so much for replying! :)