Is My Shrimp A Genius?

jack22
My ghost shrimp, at first, always hides somewhere (never can find him except at nights) because the fish tried to eat it; then after a month and the fish quit showing interest, it started hanging out and swimming around the tank.

This lasted a few months until a few days ago when I accidentally sucked it thru the gravel vac. I almost dumped it into the toilet (my gravel vac catch bucket always have a bunch of gravel in it so it was hard to see it, have been meaning to clean it).

Now, that shrimp is hiding again and I never see it; I was worried that it may have died from injuries, but I found it after moving around a bunch of stuff. After looking it over, I don't see any obvious signs of damage.

So this shrimp seems to learn! I'm actually shocked. Do I have a super smart shrimp? Or is it just going to die soon? (that'll suck but accidents happen).

JoeCamaro
I think you got Ghostbert Shrimpstein right there.

I wouldn't necessary say he is smart, but it is following his instinct to survive.

JoeCamaro
What kind of fish is housed with?

jack22
The shrimp is housed with 3 small goldfish in 29 gal tank.

I think I damage the shrimp perhaps by stabbing it with the gravel vac as I usually like to dig into the gravel with a heavy plunge. Anyway, I noticed that it was swimming funny (making loops) and falling upside down to the gravel (I lured it out with a shrimp pellet, it works every time). It used to swim straight and fast; and the only time it's ever upside down was eating flakes on the surface.

Is it still a genius shrimp?

75g Discus Tank
As stated above, it’s just natural instincts.

It’s like saying that a person is a genius’s for hiding from a serial killer. It’s just instinct.

You also have some stocking issues.

jack22
Yes, I realize that my goldfish will out grow the tank based on what I have read. It's a race between aquarium sale and fish growth. I've already picked out a spot for a 55gal... I'm trying hard to control the urge to jump go and buy... must wait for an awesome sale.

BTW, this genius shrimp seems to be able to move only 1 side of its body. Hence the weird swimming pattern. It doesn't seem to be able to control where it wants to go very easily; I don't think it is able to get as much food as it used to. It is hiding almost all the time.

75g Discus Tank
Maybe the shrimp could be injured?

I would keep the water clean and make sure the shrimp can get more food so it molts quicker.

Also, what kind of goldfish do you have?

jack22
Yes, I believe the shrimp was definitely injured by the gravel vac.

Anyway, the shrimp died; this morning after coming back from a trip, I vacuumed up its tail. Couldn't find the body, seems the goldfish ate it while I was away.

RIP genius shrimp.

They were sold as generic fan tail goldfish at Petsmart.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Brenden
Replies
Views
goldface
Replies
Views
AwokenPrincess
Replies
Views