Is My Shrimp A Genius?

jack22

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
My ghost shrimp, at first, always hides somewhere (never can find him except at nights) because the fish tried to eat it; then after a month and the fish quit showing interest, it started hanging out and swimming around the tank.

This lasted a few months until a few days ago when I accidentally sucked it thru the gravel vac. I almost dumped it into the toilet (my gravel vac catch bucket always have a bunch of gravel in it so it was hard to see it, have been meaning to clean it).

Now, that shrimp is hiding again and I never see it; I was worried that it may have died from injuries, but I found it after moving around a bunch of stuff. After looking it over, I don't see any obvious signs of damage.

So this shrimp seems to learn! I'm actually shocked. Do I have a super smart shrimp? Or is it just going to die soon? (that'll suck but accidents happen).

JoeCamaro

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I think you got Ghostbert Shrimpstein right there.

I wouldn't necessary say he is smart, but it is following his instinct to survive.

jack22

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The shrimp is housed with 3 small goldfish in 29 gal tank.

I think I damage the shrimp perhaps by stabbing it with the gravel vac as I usually like to dig into the gravel with a heavy plunge. Anyway, I noticed that it was swimming funny (making loops) and falling upside down to the gravel (I lured it out with a shrimp pellet, it works every time). It used to swim straight and fast; and the only time it's ever upside down was eating flakes on the surface.

Is it still a genius shrimp?

75g Discus Tank

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
As stated above, it’s just natural instincts.

It’s like saying that a person is a genius’s for hiding from a serial killer. It’s just instinct.

You also have some stocking issues.

jack22

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yes, I realize that my goldfish will out grow the tank based on what I have read. It's a race between aquarium sale and fish growth. I've already picked out a spot for a 55gal... I'm trying hard to control the urge to jump go and buy... must wait for an awesome sale.

BTW, this genius shrimp seems to be able to move only 1 side of its body. Hence the weird swimming pattern. It doesn't seem to be able to control where it wants to go very easily; I don't think it is able to get as much food as it used to. It is hiding almost all the time.

75g Discus Tank

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Maybe the shrimp could be injured?

I would keep the water clean and make sure the shrimp can get more food so it molts quicker.

Also, what kind of goldfish do you have?

jack22

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yes, I believe the shrimp was definitely injured by the gravel vac.

Anyway, the shrimp died; this morning after coming back from a trip, I vacuumed up its tail. Couldn't find the body, seems the goldfish ate it while I was away.

RIP genius shrimp.

They were sold as generic fan tail goldfish at Petsmart.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom