Is my rummynose tetra about to lay eggs?

CaJoOnce

Hi, I have 5 rummys in a 90L community tank with phantom tetras, corrys and an angel fish.
Today, I noticed that one of my rummys is kinda "bloated", and the other 4 rummys keep chasing her, especially the little one (on the picture).
(Here are some photos I took. Sorry for the bad quality, they move soo quick)
If she is about to lay eggs, what should i do? Should i take the pair into another tank?
You must be registered to see images

MacZ

Not like they are easy to breed and in a community setting it's unlikely anything will survive.
What are your water parameters? (pH, KH, GH are important, TDS /EC if you have, rest is irrelevant)

CaJoOnce

Not like they are easy to breed and in a community setting it's unlikely anything will survive.
What are your water parameters? (pH, KH, GH are important, TDS /EC if you have, rest is irrelevant)
pH- 7
KH- 80mg/L
GH- 75mg/L
That's what I think too. But I keep seeing the male *the smaller* flipping (the mating dance) into the female's body.

MacZ

Yeah, with those parameters unlikely any eggs will be viable and with the tankmates even less likely there will be any survivors.

flipping (the mating dance)
Not sure what you mean. I have seen quite a lot of tetras (phantoms, bleeing hearts, emperors, cardinals, diamonds, peruvians, pencils...) doing their display. Not all were in breeding setups, many display in any kind of tank, whether it is suitable for successful breeding or not.
But there was nothing I would describe as "flipping".

CaJoOnce

Yeah, with those parameters unlikely any eggs will be viable and with the tankmates even less likely there will be any survivors.

Not sure what you mean. I have seen quite a lot of tetras (phantoms, bleeing hearts, emperors, cardinals, diamonds, peruvians, pencils...) doing their display. Not all were in breeding setups, many display in any kind of tank, whether it is suitable for successful breeding or not.
But there was nothing I would describe as "flipping".
Ohh, okay. Thank you anyways!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
BGDaddiMadi
Replies
Views
Sh899y
Replies
Views
Vancouver Mike
Replies