Is my reef tank in trouble?!

1. showjumper_girl2002

showjumper_girl2002 Valued Member Member

I have a 125 gal reef tank and have decided to start to add algagen pod bags to establish copepods. Well I added one tonight but it smelled a little funny. Stupidly I added it not knowing if that was normal and now I'm thinking I shouldn't have and I'm starting to worry myself! If the bag was bad is my tank in trouble?! And if so what should i do? I'm hoping since it was only one bag and my tank is large that it will be ok :(

2. ryanr

ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

what did it smell like?
    I don't think any harm would be done, can you post a link to the product you used? Did it have a best before date on it?

3. OP
    OP
    showjumper_girl2002

I don't really know how to describe the smell. Maybe kinda like a slight sulfur or egg smell?? I've never added them before so stupidly just assumed it was normal but now I'm being paranoid! The bag is titled algagen pods tisbe. I now see the Harvest date was 12/6/12 and says expires after approximately 4 weeks. I'm thinking it was bad :( do I need to worry about my tank?!

4. ryanr

ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

I managed to find the manufacturers website:

http://www.algagen.com/prod/?p=117

Only you can decide if they smelt rotten. I don't know what the effects are of using them if rotten, but I would imagine the skimmer should pick them up pretty quickly.

Keep an eye on things, if you start noticing some odd behaviour, maybe a large water change. Too, keep a check on parameters.

5. OP
    OP
    showjumper_girl2002

Thanks! I hope I didn't make a big mistake! :(