Is my reef tank in trouble?!

Discussion in 'Saltwater Beginners' started by showjumper_girl2002, Dec 29, 2012.

1. showjumper_girl2002

showjumper_girl2002 Valued Member Member

I have a 125 gal reef tank and have decided to start to add algagen pod bags to establish copepods. Well I added one tonight but it smelled a little funny. Stupidly I added it not knowing if that was normal and now I'm thinking I shouldn't have and I'm starting to worry myself! If the bag was bad is my tank in trouble?! And if so what should i do? I'm hoping since it was only one bag and my tank is large that it will be ok :(

2. ryanr

ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

what did it smell like?
    I don't think any harm would be done, can you post a link to the product you used? Did it have a best before date on it?

3. OP
    OP
    showjumper_girl2002

I don't really know how to describe the smell. Maybe kinda like a slight sulfur or egg smell?? I've never added them before so stupidly just assumed it was normal but now I'm being paranoid! The bag is titled algagen pods tisbe. I now see the Harvest date was 12/6/12 and says expires after approximately 4 weeks. I'm thinking it was bad :( do I need to worry about my tank?!

4. ryanr

ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

I managed to find the manufacturers website:

Only you can decide if they smelt rotten. I don't know what the effects are of using them if rotten, but I would imagine the skimmer should pick them up pretty quickly.

Keep an eye on things, if you start noticing some odd behaviour, maybe a large water change. Too, keep a check on parameters.

5. OP
    OP
    showjumper_girl2002

Thanks! I hope I didn't make a big mistake! :(

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice