Dismiss Notice
Hi there! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To log in, go here.

To become a member please register here.

Is My Reef Frenzy Dangerous Now?

Discussion in 'Saltwater Beginners' started by CHAMELEON_BREEZE, Apr 20, 2019.

1. CHAMELEON_BREEZEValued MemberMember

I just got some reef frenzy food from my LFS. It took 17 minutes to get from the LFS to my house. When I put it back in the freezer, it was slightly defrosted, but still partially frozen. I decided right now I wanted to try it out. However, I read that after defrosting it might have bacteria and KILL MY FISH! The food costed more that 20 bucks! I already lost my watchman goby today (which I also bought yesterday). I don't want to waste anymore money!

Could I still use the food? Could I return it? Or do I need to waste 40 bucks and throw it away?

2. BReefer97Well Known MemberMember

I would think it’s safe. When they say defrosted, I would think they mean completely defrosted and at room temperature. Since it was still cold and partially frozen I don’t see it being an issue. There wasn’t much of a time frame for bacteria to start breeding from the time it took to drive home :)

3. david1978Fishlore LegendMember

I agree. I would liken it to ground beef. It always gets soft on the outside from store to freezer.

4. stella1979ModeratorModerator Member

I have had more than one frozen food partially, (even mostly), defrost on the way home and it has never hurt my fish.:)

Have you considered starting a build thread to contain your questions and experiences with your tank?

Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
  5. CHAMELEON_BREEZEValued MemberMember

Okay. I might keep it then!

Hmm, I'll think of that.

6. JesterraceWell Known MemberMember

Perfectly fine. It's when it's completely thawed you need to worry about it. I usually take a good size chunk off, put the rest in the freezer and cut the boken off piece up into 1/8 inch cubes and then put them in a ziploc bag. This way you don't have to pull out the whole package everytime. I then take a plastic disposable cup that is clean and dip it in the tank to get some water. Take the chopped cube drop it in the cup and mash it up with something like a turkey baster and dump it all back in the tank.