Is My Ramshorn Snail Okay?

eustoma01

Valued Member
Reaction score

I see it doing this a lot. It's the only snail in my tank to do this. He just sits there on top of the water letting the current take him around and around the tank. Sometimes he even gets caught in this corner of the tank where the current is kind of strong and swirls and it looks like he's getting flushed down a toilet, just goes in rapid circles but he doesn't even seem to mind at all.

It's been like an hour and he's just been doing this the whole time. Sometimes he latches onto the roots of a Pothos plant I have floating on the top of the tank and sort of just takes a breather I guess before just going back to floating.

I just wanted to make sure nothing was wrong with him. When he does this he doesn't look like he's eating. His mouth is just shut and he's not making any movements with his mouth. He just lies there and he does twist his shell around a lot. If it's possible he's doing this because something is wrong, is there a way to tell?

I'm hoping he's just really into being a daredevil snail and has his own personality, but at the same time it's the only snail that does this in my tank so I'm hoping nothing is wrong with it.

TheBettaSushi

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
eustoma01 said:

I see it doing this a lot. It's the only snail in my tank to do this. He just sits there on top of the water letting the current take him around and around the tank. Sometimes he even gets caught in this corner of the tank where the current is kind of strong and swirls and it looks like he's getting flushed down a toilet, just goes in rapid circles but he doesn't even seem to mind at all.

It's been like an hour and he's just been doing this the whole time. Sometimes he latches onto the roots of a Pothos plant I have floating on the top of the tank and sort of just takes a breather I guess before just going back to floating.

I just wanted to make sure nothing was wrong with him. When he does this he doesn't look like he's eating. His mouth is just shut and he's not making any movements with his mouth. He just lies there and he does twist his shell around a lot. If it's possible he's doing this because something is wrong, is there a way to tell?

I'm hoping he's just really into being a daredevil snail and has his own personality, but at the same time it's the only snail that does this in my tank so I'm hoping nothing is wrong with it.
Water parameters?

eustoma01

Valued Member
Reaction score
I
TheBettaSushi said:
Last checked a few days ago before I did a water change and using the API freshwater test kit everything was at a 0. PH was high but that should have changed with the water change. I will check that again later when I get home.

eustoma01

Valued Member
Reaction score
I forgot to mention he only does this at night. The tank light was off but I turned it on to get better vision for the video. During the day he just moves around the tank eating and being weird. Yesterday he stuck a piece of substrate to the tank near the top and crawled away.

allllien

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
eustoma01 said:
I forgot to mention he only does this at night. The tank light was off but I turned it on to get better vision for the video. During the day he just moves around the tank eating and being weird. Yesterday he stuck a piece of substrate to the tank near the top and crawled away.
Only at night, I think that's the clue -they come up for air at night, usually up the sides of the glass, but they often do that floating thing to eat particles from the water surface too, so I'm guessing yours probably just does it to get air.

Salem

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
A lot of my snails do this as well. I was worried about knocking them around too much so I baffled my output and now they just like crawl upside down along the surface. I'm sure yours is fine

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom