Is my pleco normal or is something wrong

PuffPuff

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
originally i wanted a spiney box puffer fish. but idk if thats possible anymore, since thats more of a 1 specie tank, or so they tell me

waterlilykari

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
i thought i was, in the last thread i asked if 75gallons was enough, i was told not really for a common pleco. since it gets 24inch or more
Good excuse for a pond IMO Just think, if you are going to put in a nice roomy pond large enough to adequately house a large pleco anyway, might as well go all out while you're at it and as Dom90 suggested, make sure you can include something easier on the eyes than most people feel plecos are. (Some nice graceful koi, for example)

On a more realistic note, if you decide a pond is not in the works for you, it's either a massive tank or rehoming him/her. If you do rehome him and still want to have similar, consider a clown pleco or a bristlenose pleco since both stay small enough to be content in a 30. I personally would go for the BN if you want to be able to see him more than once in a blue moon though because the personality of the clown plecos is much more reclusive than the BN. (We see our BN come out and about periodically throughout the day before she goes back to snoozing under her favorite piece of driftwood but the clown pleco in the tank at work is seen so infrequently that people have started referring to him as Bigfoot since you have about an equal chance of finding Bigfoot standing in your front yard as you have of seeing the clown pleco ever come out of his cave)

Dom90

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Good excuse for a pond IMO Just think, if you are going to put in a nice roomy pond large enough to adequately house a large pleco anyway, might as well go all out while you're at it and as Dom90 suggested, make sure you can include something easier on the eyes than most people feel plecos are. (Some nice graceful koi, for example)
Plus koi fish are considered symbols of good luck. I'd love to have a backyard pond one day...

waterlilykari

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Plus koi fish are considered symbols of good luck. I'd love to have a backyard pond one day...
That makes two of us on wanting a pond. Unfortunately, for the moment I have to live vicariously through others here that do have ponds.

I did have the same problem of a similarly sizable pleco though and a pond was the solution. Close to a year ago, we bought a tiny little baby pleco that we were told was a BN and so would top out at maybe 4-5 inches. However, after acclimation when we released "Jack" into the tank, he zoomed around exploring his roomy new home and up went the dorsal fin in his excitement. I was pretty sure he was not a BN like we'd been told and even submitted pics here to verify. We gave my son the choice: return him now to the Petsmart we got him from and get an actual BN pleco from somewhere else where we knew for sure that was what we were getting or keep him for however long it too him to grow into the 55g tank and rehome him then (and we made sure he understood that unless something changed we most likely would not have the space or the money to upgrade to as big a tank as he would eventually need and it was not nice to him or healthy for him to stay in a horn too small so there was no option of keeping him indefinitely in the 55)

Fast forward 7 months, and we had an 8 inch long adolescent Sailfin with all the attitude of the average human teenager, and a highly muscular tail he would use to thrash anything in reach whenever he was not happy with something. Tank cleanings were starting to feel like a gamble because I always wondered how much bigger he would have to get to one day be able to smack the tank wall hard enough to smash it. He also started chasing our goldfish to suck off the slime coat - something most of the larger variety plecos do with goldfish as they grow because the muco-protein is like candy to a growing pleco.

I did the only thing I could think of that didn't involve giving Jack to random strangers on Craigslist or a 5 hour drive in a bucket to the nearest family friend we have that has a pond currently. I approached the principal of the elementary school my son attended since they have a several thousand gallon koi and turtle pond donated for the enjoyment of the kids there. We took Jack over one day after school about 2-3 months ago and he has lived in their pond ever since.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom