Is my Pleco hiding or dead?

devsi

Firstly, just in case anybody saw the previous question; a week or so back I created a thread about Whether I could add a BN Pleco into my tank, and the overall concensus was No.

Fast forward a few days and I had to rescue it, regardless of the advice, because the alternative for the little guy was not something I could live with. I added some driftwood to the tank, gave him plenty of spaces to hide, and have been keeping a very close eye on all of the fish and the water parameters to ensure there are no issues.

However, I literally haven't seen him since I put him into the tank..... I know they're nocturnal, so I've snuck back to my tank a few hours after lights out and up to ~10pm, but still nothing.

If he's hiding and happy, then that's totally fine, I'm just concerned he's died and has been eaten or something?

CrackerboxPalace

could you post a photo of your tank with lights on? depending on how much cover there is it wouldn’t be surprising if you don’t see it for a while, especially when it’s adjusting to the tank.

also, roughly how big was the pleco? finding a 1-2 inch pleco at any given time in a densely covered tank would be like finding a needle in a haystack.

DoubleDutch

could you post a photo of your tank with lights on? depending on how much cover there is it wouldn’t be surprising if you don’t see it for a while, especially when it’s adjusting to the tank.

also, roughly how big was the pleco? finding a 1-2 inch pleco at any given time in a densely covered tank would be like finding a needle in a haystack.
The pic is in the other thread. To me there is space for a BN btw.
I think it is still in hiding.

devsi

Of course! As DoubleDutch said, there is a picture in the other thread but it has been moved around/more cover added so here's a new one:

1632306671272.png

I'd say rougly 3 or 4 inches.

To me there is space for a BN btw.

I ended up rescuing a BN, two Angelfish, a tetra and a tiger loach. I feel really sorry for the Angels at the minute, who are currently in my 60L QT, but I have a much bigger tank cycling for them to move into.

I think it is still in hiding.

Won't it be getting hungry?

Thank you both DoubleDutch CrackerboxPalace :)

CrackerboxPalace

great looking tank! with the live plants there’s probably a decent amount of organics to munch on for the moment, but you could drop a chunk of algae/spirulina based food in just in case. with the other fish in there it’ll get eaten one way or another. hopefully by the pleco. :)

devsi

great looking tank!

Thank you :)

with the live plants there’s probably a decent amount of organics to munch on for the moment, but you could drop a chunk of algae/spirulina based food in just in case.

Ah ok, excellent! I do drop in a algae wafer, or some API Bottom Feeder food from time to time, but I'm almost certain the other fish get to it before the poor pleco (even if I add it during the night!).

Do you think he'll eventually come out of hiding and be more social, or will I just never see him? I'm not overly fussed either way, I'm glad I rescued him regardless, I just really like their look and would love to see it haha.

CrackerboxPalace

i used to see mine now and then, usually in the evening. Once he gets a bit bigger you’ll see a bit more of him (hopefully). they tend to be shyer in community tanks with schools of fish in my experience.

devsi

Ah ok; I was hoping to get him out and move him to the newer tank, but I'm not going to purposefully upset everyone (and him) by ripping the tank to bits just to find him.

So long as he's happy, I'm happy :)

Thanks for the help!

BigManAquatics

A tip: they do like to attach themselves and chill for hours on the bottom side of leaves. Mine also like to squeeze under sponge filters as well. Master hiders.

RayClem

Bristlenose typically come out at night to eat. I have two of them in different tanks. One is usually found hiding motionless on the bottom of a sponge filter. The other is found hiding motionless on the back side of the submersible heater. Mine are albinos, so I can find them due to the contrast in color.

I have a heavily planted tank with a dark colored rubber-lip pleco. I have not seen that one in months, but I have not see any evidence of mortality, so I assume it is still alive somewhere hiding among the rocks and vegetation.

FishDin

You could try feed food that the other fish won't eat, like veggies. That way you can tell if it's eating or not.

devsi

A tip: they do like to attach themselves and chill for hours on the bottom side of leaves. Mine also like to squeeze under sponge filters as well. Master hiders.

I'm pretty sure mine is hiding in the castle somewhere. I'd bet good money I've looked over every other centimeter of this tank looking for it :)

Bristlenose typically come out at night to eat. I have two of them in different tanks.

I recon mine smells me coming and hides. We're just in one long game of hide and seek. He's winning.

Mine are albinos, so I can find them due to the contrast in color.

The albino plecos are absolutely stunning! Once I have my other tank set-up I'm seriously considering one.

I have a heavily planted tank with a dark colored rubber-lip pleco. I have not seen that one in months, but I have not see any evidence of mortality, so I assume it is still alive somewhere hiding among the rocks and vegetation.

They're such good hiders!

You could try feed food that the other fish won't eat, like veggies. That way you can tell if it's eating or not.

Is there such a thing as food that guppies won't eat :-D ?

FishDin

Is there such a thing as food that guppies won't eat :-D ?
Probably not :). If you put some veggies in there and they're gone in the morning you could assume your pleco is alive and eating.

devsi

I was referring to feeding the pleco. If you put some veggies in there and they're gone in the morning you could assume your pleco is alive and eating.

I was trying, unsuccessfully, to make a joke about my guppies eating everything that I put into the tank, and it not being an indication of the pleco eating anything :)

devsi

Update: so, I just had a bad feeling, even after this thread, because I know what bullies my Bettas can be.

So, yesterday, I did the thing I said I wouldn’t do; I ripped apart my tank trying to find my pleco and he was hiding in the castle.

I took him out and moved him into my other tank and he seems MUCH happier. He still hides a lot, but he does come out every now and again to show off.

A59A0A2D-3B73-459D-AC41-357C61A9925D.jpeg

RayClem

Just because your pleco hides in the castle during the daytime does not mean he does not come out at night, which is when plecos typically eat. I suspect if you moved the castle to his new tank, he would end up hiding inside it once again.

devsi

You're probably right, but I looked at all times and he was never out. I didn't feel comfortable leaving him, knowing what bullies my Bettas can be.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Shrimpandall
  • Question
Replies
Views
Flyfisha
Replies
Views
Flyfisha