Is My Pleco A Cannibal

Discussion in 'Pleco - Plecostomus' started by Goldiemom, Apr 19, 2018.

1. Goldiemom

GoldiemomWell Known MemberMember

The other day I lost a guppy. I mean couldn’t find him anywhere. Picked up everything and even checked the filter. I had been working in the tank and figured he must have jumped out and the dog found him before I did. Today I’m missing a green neon tetra. Same thing, nowhere. I know bristlenose plecos are suppose to be docile but could he be eating my fish? He was in with goldfish larger than him before. He has been in with these tropical for about 6 weeks. He’s about 4” long. Any other ideas?

2. 75g Discus Tank

75g Discus TankFishlore VIPMember

I think the fish died from ano5er cause and the pleco just cleaned up.
    Plecos will only do damage to large fish IME by sucking on their slime coats, but BN plecos aren’t really known for that.

3. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

They are omnivors but not predators.
    Allmost all fish will eat dead fish.

4. Onlyashes

OnlyashesValued MemberMember

Everytime I have lost a fish between my pleco and the other fish I would only find bones in a day or 2

5. OP
    OP
    Goldiemom

I feel like blowing up that tank! I had to take 3 neon tetras out and QT them for NTD. Then I lost 2 fish. Now I'm fighting these pesty midge flies and their larva. Funny, they don't go near my goldfish tank or if they do, my goldfish now how to handle them...yum yum! I wish the pleco would devour them too.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2018
  6. Bithimala

BithimalaFishlore VIPMember

I lost a betta a few years ago in a similar fashion. No idea what ever happened to him. We've moved since then, there was no body around the furniture or anything and no one else in the tank with him.

7. OP
    OP
    Goldiemom

Wierd!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice