Is My Platys Pregnant?

Discussion in 'Breeding Fish' started by Beginner101, Apr 11, 2018.

1. Beginner101

Beginner101 Valued Member Member

So I've had this platys for around 2 months and I'm not sure if she's just fat, pregnant or sick. Here are some photos to help decide. She also doesn't have blue eyes it's usually clear but sometimes it turns blue, I think it has to do with stress. Also it's too scales also tend to turn blue ish green. I also think this has to do with stress. IMG_20180411_170705.jpg IMG_20180411_170702.jpg IMG_20180411_170249.jpg

2. Junne

Junne Fishlore Legend Member

Yes, they are female AND pregnant. How many do you have? Females to males?

What size tank? Hopefully you have lots of hiding spots for the females as they will want to hide when giving birth. Also to note, both male and females will eat the fry.

3. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

If any of the females are in the same tank with males, they are guaranteed to become pregnant!
    I think you have some pregnant ones here.

4. OP
    OP
    Beginner101

Ah I see, well the tanks a 20g high with a ratio of 2 females to 1 male. And they're are 10 neon tetra and 3 dwarf gourami in the tank. I'm kind of excited to see baby fry in real life. How long do u think is left?

5. OP
    OP
    Beginner101

Yeah they're with one male, how long do you think is left?

6. Junne

It's hard to say - she will develop a dark gravid spot on her when she is ready - I know when my platy was ready, she began to, "hide" and then a day later her babies were born.
    I am guessing a few days to a week?
    I would start thinking of options now ( in regards to what you will do with them, bigger tank, etc ) because soon you will be overrun with them. A 20 h is not big enough and you are already at the max with what you have in there.

7. OP
    OP
    Beginner101

Yeah I don't plan on keeping them, probably going to give them to my lfs

8. Junne

This is what my girl looked like the night she gave birth

20161231_165146.jpg

9. OP
    OP
    Beginner101

Oh, mine looks pretty close to that.

10. OP
    OP
    Beginner101

Ugh, so sad now. I missed her giving birth and I can find any of the babies, they probably got eaten. She's super skinny and much more active now too though

11. OP
    OP
    Beginner101

I actually found 7 fry and put them in a 2.5g with the same tank water from the 20g. What do I feed them? How often? And how long can they go with out food?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice