Is My Platy Sick Or Is This Just Pigmentation?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Hyperconsumer, Apr 15, 2017.

1. Hyperconsumer

Hyperconsumer New Member Member

Hello Fishlore,

One of our female platys has had this white spot on her head for about a month now and we didn't think much of it initially as it didn't seem to affect her, but lately it seems to be getting bigger and she's behaving a bit differently. Her dorsal fin is always down, and she spends most of her time under the filter stream. I'm wondering if it's not a rash of some sort that is irritating her, and the water stream is providing some relief from that?

Does this look familiar to anyone here? It seems very different from Ich as it's not in her fins and it's not little spots, rather just one large white patch. Any help much appreciated.

IMG_20170414_175540.jpg

IMG_20170414_175549.jpg

2. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

Welcome to fishlore!
    That's not just natural colouring that looks like an illness to me. It also has clamped fins which is a bad sign.
    Is it at all fluffy?
    It almost looks a little like fungus to me

3. UniqueShark

UniqueShark Well Known Member Member

Looks like a wound. Does she get bullied often or hide

4. OP
    OP
    Hyperconsumer

Thanks BottomDweller & UniqueShark. Yes she sometimes gets bullied by the male platy, but the funny thing is that he has calmed down a lot recently, we haven't noticed him doing it for at least a month or two now. We have two females platys, we got the second one to calm down the male and it seems to have worked. This strange white patch (whatever it is) has gotten worse but only by itself recently. What do you guys think it is? Yeah I guess you could describe it as 'fluffy', it looks like it protrudes slightly from her head which means it could be a fungus, you think?

5. APierce

APierce Well Known Member Member

I would assume velvet or collunaris.

6. OP
    OP
    Hyperconsumer

Thank you for your replies, I've had a look into it and I don't think it's velvet as apparently the fish should appear 'slimy' and the discolouration would be gold to green or brown. It looks like it might be Columnaris, but I can't be sure.

In the absence of any other ideas, is it worth treating for Columnaris just to be safe? I'm really worried about her as she seems more lethargic than usual, but when I approach the tank she perks up.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice