Is My Platy Pregnant? Question

1. Maynardkeenan

Maynardkeenan New Member Member

3C9ED998-3435-41E9-A3FA-AA56198DC474.jpeg hey all, i have a 20 gallon long fresh water tank. I’ve had my sunfire wag platy’s For roughly 3 months and I’ve noticed one of my 3 is becoming increasingly larger. I believe due to her anal fin being more prominent and less pointed that it is in fact a female. One of my other platy’s i believe to be a male keeps chasing her around. I have a juvenile Yoyo loach in this tank as well as some Cory catfish. When she drops fry do i need to be concerned about my loach eating them? If she is pregnant, i honestly do not want more fish as my tank is perfectly cycled now and almost at max capacity. But i do not want to stress my platy’s if my loach eats her fry. Thanks in advance!

2. bryangar

bryangar Well Known Member Member

At first I was thinking why is that fish upside down. LOL

It does seem to be she is carrying fry except they usually come out within a month. They are always pregnant. Even at the pet stores. Do you see a dark gravid spot? Or even eyes? This would indicate that she will be dropping anything now. Ideally you want 3 females to every male because the male will stress the female out alot from him wanting to breed.

If you leave the babies in the tank then the parents will just eat the fry. If you don’t want the fry just leave them and let nature run its course.

3. HORNET1

HORNET1 Well Known Member Member

She appears to be dilated 10 centimeters and crowning.
    CONGRATULATIONS !!! :)

4. GettinTanked

GettinTanked Valued Member Member

I can't speak for your other species of fish, but I have some new platy fry myself (same color pattern too) and I can say that the two adult platies in with them are not eating them. I assumed they would eat them, but then I looked it up on Seriously Fish and found that they generally don't. Just FYI.

5. OP
    OP
    Maynardkeenan

Maynardkeenan New Member Member

Thank you everyone who replied! I actually just got home from an over night trip, my female appears to be much smaller now and i see no fry in my tank