abihallamm

Reaction score
F1D9DE48-3DCC-4FC2-A36E-659AD4649436.jpeg
22E13930-F18D-4EBC-BB70-85D236E7CFF9.jpeg
3EB2ABEA-54EE-4AA1-A284-1CA2E7EB3441.jpeg
B2C8DEE8-ACB9-48ED-AE32-42A0D95F5374.jpeg
B2C8DEE8-ACB9-48ED-AE32-42A0D95F5374.jpeg
Hi,
I’ve had my platies for a month and a bit and I’ve noticed one of them looks different to the rest.
When purchasing them, I forgot to ask what genders they were but I believe the tanks were mixed at my local fish store.
I have added a few photos.

IT IS THE PLATY WITH YELLOW AND BLACK

Is my platy pregnant? What should I do?

DutchAquarium

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yes, she does appear gravid. What your looking for is the black spot near her vent. This is an egg spot and tells you she is gravid. If you want to raise the platys, your going to want to get a lot of dense floating plants, like hornwort, guppygrass, or arancharis. You might want to separate her also since livebears and the other fish in that aquarium will eat the fry.

luckdown

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
From what I see I think you have 4 females and 2 males.

So yes, yes they are pregnant lol

Comparing your girl to how mine look she should give birth within a week, maybe a bit less.

Is she acting any different? Mine start hiding a few days before they give birth. Then right after they do they're back to hanging around with everyone.

abihallamm

Reaction score
My fish haven’t been acting different at all.
Always out and cheerful, feeding the exact same!
I guess I’ll have to wait and see
luckdown said:
From what I see I think you have 4 females and 2 males.

So yes, yes they are pregnant lol

Comparing your girl to how mine look she should give birth within a week, maybe a bit less.

Is she acting any different? Mine start hiding a few days before they give birth. Then right after they do they're back to hanging around with everyone.
habk

Do you recommend the nets you put in your tank for your platy to give birth in and the babies to stay in a little while??
I haven’t seen a black dot but I might not be looking properly or maybe it’s not what I expect...

emeraldking

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The wagtail and mickey mouse platy seem to have a bit of a swollen belly. They could be pregnant but probably it will take still a bit before they'll drop fry.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom