Is my platy pregnant?

1. bryant4131 Initiate Member

I just bought 2 platies and from what I see, both of them have some pretty good signs that they're about to give birth. My question is, am I right? I don't want to stress them and such, so if I can get any information as to when is a good time to put them in the breeding box would be EXTREMELY helpful. What I'm seeing so far is:

- Their stomach is starting to square off (shape of a square'ish that is).
    - The white ball/bulb near their anus is visible.
    - Those are the two biggest signs I was told that they're about to give birth and I placed the white/red one into the breeding box just now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ilikeendlers Initiate Member

My guess would be it is a good possibility that they are.
    I've seen other livebearers get bigger in the belly area before giving birth.
    I'd say, put more plants in the tank for more hiding places.
    Maybe some guppy grass at the top and bottom of the tank if you can get a hold of some.

3. davebowden Member Member

Hi,
    do you know if there were any males in the tank when you bought them. I so they will be pregnant !!

4. bryant4131 Initiate Member

@ilikeendlers: Yeah I've heard that their belly gets huge, but those are the times when they give birth to like 20-40 frys. Then I've also heard that there are times when their stomach are about the size of mine at the moment and have about 5-10 frys, which is why I'm unsure =(.

@davebowden: Yeah there were males in the tank and I'm quite sure they're pregnant, but I'm just not sure if they're about to drop frys or not because I don't want to stress them.

5. guppy10 Initiate Member

IMG_0501.JPG

is my platy heavily pregnant ??? if so how long to go

6. tales-rose Member Member

she does look quiet pregnant. though i cant saw how much longer there is to go because some give birth and they only have small bellies. i would just recommend watching her and if she looks like she is trying to find somewhere to have babies then u no its very soon but if she gets the "squared off" look then u have around 24 hours b4 she gives birth.

source: personal experience.

7. simplykayla76 Member Member

Just curious~how much longer after this picture did she drop her fry? My platy looks about the same and i put her in the net breeder last night. Thanks

8. guppy&platy505 Initiate Member

Is my platy pregnant and how much longer till it gives birth?

This is my first time with platies so i don't how much longer?

Attached Files:

9. ellie823 Initiate Member

I was wondering if anyone could tell me whether my platy is pregnant, this would be muchly appreciated. IMAG0003.jpg IMAG0004.jpg