Is my platy pregnant? And why is my male platy chasing my female?

Anamarie622

Reaction score
I have 2 female platys and 1 male platy. I'm not sure if the females are pregnant. The first one is red and shes looked fat/pregnant ever since we got her, so we aren't sure if we got her (we got them about 2 or 3 weeks ago). The other one is white with black stripes on one side with an orange tail. She was as skinny as the male (who is white with small black polka dots and black fins) when we got her, but is now a little fatter. So, we're questioning if shes pregnant or not.
That's the first question.
My second one is, why is the male chasing the white and orange platy? If she gets anywhere near him, he chases her off (kind of like he's bullying her), but if the red one gets near him they're just fine.

Attachments

OP
Anamarie622

Anamarie622

Reaction score
Anamarie622 said:
I have 2 female platys and 1 male platy. I'm not sure if the females are pregnant. The first one is red and shes looked fat/pregnant ever since we got her, so we aren't sure if we got her (we got them about 2 or 3 weeks ago). The other one is white with black stripes on one side with an orange tail. She was as skinny as the male (who is white with small black polka dots and black fins) when we got her, but is now a little fatter. So, we're questioning if shes pregnant or not.
My second one is, why is the male chasing the white and orange platy? If she gets anywhere near him, he chases her off (kind of like he's bullying her), but if the red one gets near him they're just fine.
The male has also been hanging out in the hut and grass and near the bottom of the Tank a lot. He usually only swims up to chase the female away.

Cowardlyslimeball

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
maybe the female red platy is pregnant, and the male is chasing the other one because she's fertile and not pregnant yet.

RomanNoodles96

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Anamarie622 said:
The chasing is normal, my male guppies do it with the females all the time. One may be pregnant so he's only targeting the other. I can't tell you if they're pregnant or not though.

AquaticQueen

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
The male is trying to mate with the female. What size is your tank?

The female could be pregnant, but often when people ask this, they actually aren't. If she gets any larger and develops a gravid spot, then she is. But, she could've been underfed in the petstore and is just getting fattened up.

OP
Anamarie622

Anamarie622

Reaction score
AquaticQueen said:
The male is trying to mate with the female. What size is your tank?

The female could be pregnant, but often when people ask this, they actually aren't. If she gets any larger and develops a gravid spot, then she is. But, she could've been underfed in the petstore and is just getting fattened up.
I have a 10 gallon tank. I feed them everyday between 12 and 1 (I have somewhat of a schedule for them) and he hasn't been coming up to eat either.

AquaticQueen

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Anamarie622 said:
I have a 10 gallon tank. I feed them everyday between 12 and 1 (I have somewhat of a schedule for them) and he hasn't been coming up to eat either.
Hmm, have the females been bullying him?

OP
Anamarie622

Anamarie622

Reaction score
AquaticQueen said:
Hmm, have the females been bullying him?
I'm not sure? I've only recently started paying attention and from what I've seen, no??

AquaticQueen

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Anamarie622 said:
I'm not sure? I've only recently started paying attention and from what I've seen, no??
The female molly might be pregnant then. I have heard of mollies bullying and chasing their mates before giving birth.

OP
Anamarie622

Anamarie622

Reaction score
AquaticQueen said:
The female molly might be pregnant then. I have heard of mollies bullying and chasing their mates before giving birth.
They're platies and it's the male chasing the female though?

AquaticQueen

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Anamarie622 said:
They're platies and it's the male chasing the female though?
Sorry. I meant platies. The male chasing the female is normal behavior. He is trying to mate with the female.

AquEric

Reaction score
The one your talking about is a balloon belly and they always look pregnant as for the chasing I'll let you in on a secret about fish they only think three things. Can I eat it Can it eat me Can I breed with it

AlexW9102

Reaction score
Males always chase the females around in attempt to impregnate her. Your platy female looks pregnant in my opinion. The males don't mate just once and she's pregnant and he stops. He will mate with her multiple times instinctually for good measure to make sure she's pregnant, and will continue to do it all the way up to the point when she is well into pregnancy. The males tend to chase the females around all the time, pregnant or not. They might even occasionally nip at them. It doesn't mean anything bad like he's trying to hurt her or they don't get along, so you're fish will be alright.

New Threads