Is my platy pregnant and are my fry premature?

benchies

Hello lovely people. Newbie on the fish community. Need a bit of input please. Thank you.

(1st picture) I got this female platy to join my community tank as my male platy have been chasing and nipping the tail of the other male platy. I am not sure if this one is pregnant or if it is just fat. Its been hiding from the male platy lately and had been staying on this side of the tank. Any thoughts?

(2nd picture) And oh, I have another female platy who recently gave birth without any signs. ? Premature birth. Managed to save 8 fry. They look kind of big here coz it is zoomed but they are pretty tiny and transparent. 5 of them are actively swimming now but the 3 are always at the bottom. They seem to be moving from places to places but never seen them go at the top. Is that normal?

Thank youuu!!

Attachments

• 20210314_152539.jpg
    20210314_152539.jpg
    250.7 KB · Views: 43
  • 20210311_195303.jpg
    20210311_195303.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 44

Ouse

Welcome to Fishlore and the hobby!

You can tell if a platy is pregnant by looking at the spot by their anus. This is known as the gravid spot. If it’s larger than normal this is a sign of pregnancy. The spot on your platy seems a bit large but due to the black colour of the region I can’t see it very well. Why not research images of the spot before and during a pregnancy to get a sense of scale?

There’s nothing to suggest that the birth was premature. The babies look fine and there are multiple of them. Perhaps you didn’t notice any signs of a pregnancy and more often than not you won’t. Platies explore multiple levels of the tank and won’t always hang near the top. If they never leave the top this could be an issue with water quality but this doesn’t seem to be the case.

Have fun with your platy fry!

Upvote 0

benchies

Welcome to Fishlore and the hobby!

You can tell if a platy is pregnant by looking at the spot by their anus. This is known as the gravid spot. If it’s larger than normal this is a sign of pregnancy. The spot on your platy seems a bit large but due to the black colour of the region I can’t see it very well. Why not research images of the spot before and during a pregnancy to get a sense of scale?

There’s nothing to suggest that the birth was premature. The babies look fine and there are multiple of them. Perhaps you didn’t notice any signs of a pregnancy and more often than not you won’t. Platies explore multiple levels of the tank and won’t always hang near the top. If they never leave the top this could be an issue with water quality but this doesn’t seem to be the case.

Have fun with your platy fry!
Thank you! To be honest, I've been looking and watching vids about pregnant platy since the first female started to grow a belly but I still can't seem to see them signs. I will observe this second one, hopefully I'll be able to save new batches of fry in case she is preggo.

Yeah, the 5 fry who are actively swimming are not staying at the top. They like to roam around the breeder net. So I'm pretty happy. They are just 4 days old.

Upvote 0

Ouse

Well I can assure you that you’re off to a successful start.

Upvote 0

StarGirl

Yup they look perfectly normal to me! Baybies!

Upvote 0

mrsP

Welcome! You can safely assume that your female livebearer is always pregnant if there's a male present, even a male from another livebearer speces. They can even save sperm up to a year to use for later pregnancies. Yep, multiple ones. You're not going to run out of platys.

Upvote 0

benchies

Here's a clearer photo of her. Can't see any gravid spot or anything.
Well I can assure you that you’re off to a successful start.
Thank you!
Welcome! You can safely assume that your female livebearer is always pregnant if there's a male present, even a male from another livebearer speces. They can even save sperm up to a year to use for later pregnancies. Yep, multiple ones. You're not going to run out of platys.
That's what I am afraid of, I only have a 54L tank.

Attachments

• 20210314_173159.jpg
    20210314_173159.jpg
    215.9 KB · Views: 19
Upvote 0

mrsP

This link is to aquarium wiki showing gravid spot really well:

Gravid spot - The Free Freshwater and Saltwater Aquarium Encyclopedia Anyone Can Edit - The Aquarium Wiki

Upvote 0

benchies

Hello lovely people! Update on this platy, I think she gave birth last night. I found 2 fry swimming openly in the community tank. I just hope they survive. Thanks for all your help
And the platy's tummy is flat now.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
kay96
  • Question
  • giannarizz
  • Platy
Replies
Views
NearMeBettas