Is my platy preggers? Question 

xkellyx

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Hi!

I’ve been following fish forums for a while, but I wanted some opinions on whether or not my platy is pregnant.
I’ve moved her to a separate 10 gallon QT tank since she’s being harassed by two male plates in my 55 gallon DT.
If she’s not pregnant, I can move her back, but if she is, how long until she drops her fry? I can see a little white spot in the photo as well, is this where the fry will drop from?

thanks!!!
613491D0-5A0A-4E7D-AEAB-7D91BF972657.jpeg

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If she's been in with male platys, she's pregnant. Platys gestation takes about 28 days. She could be a week away or two weeks. It's hard to say. But it looks like 1-2 weeks max.

xkellyx

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Momgoose56 said:
If she's been in with male platys, she's pregnant. Platys gestation takes about 28 days. She could be a week away or two weeks. It's hard to say. But it looks like 1-2 weeks max.
Great! I’ve had her and a couple other female platys in my DT with other males for almost two months. Hopefully she has the babies soon! I can’t wait to see the babies. :)

I figured I’d try to save the babies this round before I let natural selection do the rest if the other females get pregnant. I believe one of my mollies had babies when I wasn’t aware...until I saw one today. Not sure it’ll survive, but my DT is heavily planted so hopefully the little one makes it.

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
xkellyx said:
Great! I’ve had her and a couple other female platys in my DT with other males for almost two months. Hopefully she has the babies soon! I can’t wait to see the babies. :)

I figured I’d try to save the babies this round before I let natural selection do the rest if the other females get pregnant. I believe one of my mollies had babies when I wasn’t aware...until I saw one today. Not sure it’ll survive, but my DT is heavily planted so hopefully the little one makes it.
Just make sure your parameters in your QT tank are okay and your Platy female is well fed before she has the fry lol!. My fish all seemed to drop their fry on days I wasn't looking lol!

xkellyx

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Yeah, I’ve been testing the tank with my API freshwater master kit test and ammonia, nitrite and nitrate are all good for now.

I’m hoping the fry will drop this week since I’m on vacation and can monitor if they do suddenly appear. If not this week, they may be all eaten by the time I get home from work lol. I do have some plants in the QT so hopefully they’ll help.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom