Is my Platy fish pregnant???

Dc5191

Is my fish pregnant? Can anyone help me please!!! I bought my fish 3 days ago and I believe I have bought 2 male guppies and 2 assorted platies. My red wagtail platy hides often and only eats one mouthful when I drop flake in the tank. I have been doing a lot of research and it comes up with things along the lines of pregnancy. I have noticed the stomach enlarging, however it doesn’t look huge to anyone else. Can someone tell me if my fish is pregnant please.

She shys away from others, prefers to hide and eats next to nothing.

Betta'sAnonymous

I can't tell for sure even the gender, but chances are high that if she is female, she is pregnant.

PerfectSatyr683

Also how big is the tank it looks like a bowl to me

Dc5191

What should I do? Should I do a partial water change? Should I wait it out for a few days and see what happens? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

10 gallon tank

FishBoy101

Dc5191 said:
Is my fish pregnant? Can anyone help me please!!! I bought my fish 3 days ago and I believe I have bought 2 male guppies and 2 assorted platies. My red wagtail platy hides often and only eats one mouthful when I drop flake in the tank. I have been doing a lot of research and it comes up with things along the lines of pregnancy. I have noticed the stomach enlarging, however it doesn’t look huge to anyone else. Can someone tell me if my fish is pregnant please.

She shys away from others, prefers to hide and eats next to nothing.
Is the tank cycled?

Dc5191

FishBoy101 said:
Is the tank cycled?
The tank had been on a week before fish were introduced. Their introduction consisted of; placing bag in water for 10 minutes, putting my water in to their water, sitting for 5 minutes and then pouring into tank.

FishBoy101

Dc5191 said:
The tank had been on a week before fish were introduced. Their introduction consisted of; placing bag in water for 10 minutes, putting my water in to their water, sitting for 5 minutes and then pouring into tank.
mattgirl is very good on the cycle. It seems that you are doing a fish in cycle as well. Heads up, don't pour the bag water into your tank. Cross contamination is a risk. I get a bin and a net, put the net above the bin and then pour the fish into the net with the water going into the bucket. Then put the fish into the tank.

emeraldking

The analfin is quite pointy. This might be a male specimen that starts to develop a gonopodium. It doesn´t look like a pregnant female.

Dc5191

Thank you all for your help!!

Dc5191

After this conversation yesterday (UK times) my fish is now happily swimming around and engaging with other fish! Why has this happened so suddenly? Was it still scared due to tank transitioning?

emeraldking

Dc5191 said:
After this conversation yesterday (UK times) my fish is now happily swimming around and engaging with other fish! Why has this happened so suddenly? Was it still scared due to tank transitioning?
That could've been the case. There are fish that need time to acclimate to another enviroment.

Dc5191

Today I bought a bigger fish tank!! It’s huge compared to the one I already had

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom