Is my plant dying because of high pH?

Angelfish1

My pH right now is 8.0. I know that Amazon swords prefer lower pH so I was wondering if they are dying because of any pH or if this is nutrient related.

StarGirl

What are you feeding it?

Upvote 0

StarGirl

Could be the higher pH or your root tabs are gone.

Upvote 0

ProudPapa

I don't know if all swords like the same conditions, but I have ozelot swords thriving in 8.2 pH water.

Upvote 0

Angelfish1

I don't know if all swords like the same conditions, but I have ozelot swords thriving in 8.2 pH water.
Ohh ok, that supports what I’ve read online.
I’ve been reading more into it and I think it may be a potassium deficiency. Potassium deficiency often means brown leaves (which I just removed before taking the photo) and lots of tiny holes in the plant. I’ll probably start dosing 2-3 times a week instead of every 2 weeks.
People online have said that there isn’t any research done that shows that high pH harms aquatic plants because pH isn’t necessarily related to water hardness, which is the thing that affects plants. As my dgH and dkH is low (because I have a water softener), my plants shouldn’t have a problem with the hardness.

Upvote 0

Mudminnow

I'm confident saying it's not your pH. I've found Amazon Swords do just fine in 8.0 pH.

Now, it could be your KH. If your KH is super high, that can make them struggle a bit. Still, I've grown Amazon Swords in a KH of 224 ppm (according to my city's water report) just fine. So, your KH would have to be really high to cause any problems.

I think your issues are more likely due to something else.

Upvote 0

Cherryshrimp420

PH does have some effect on nutrients... Lower pH frees up certain minerals and metals.... Swords especially need a lot of iron which is more available in acidic waters

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Mudminnow
Replies
Views
Jocelyn Adelman
  • Question
Replies
Views
Pfrozen