is my plan of stocking safe? 20 Gallon Tank 

kel1216

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Good day.. Finally i have a 20 gallon tank. High.
i started to see the cray continously walk, as sign of relief...
all i have in my 20 gallon now is 1 goldfish 1 tiger barb and 1 crayfish..lol
i am planning to buy an additional 5 tiger barbs maybe 4 females 1 male.. to complete the minimun requirement of 6 for their school.
i am also planning to breed guppies cause they stay on top of the tank right?
i will remove the goldfish some other time...
and replace it with a 1 male betta.
Is what i am planning now safe for all the tank members?
a school of barb will stop their fin nipping attitude so the betta will be safe?
Thanks for advice.

Mike

Kupcake

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I personally dont think you should add anything while you have the gold fish. Why are you waiting to rehome him? You should only do what you can with the stock you have. If you are planning on getting rid of the goldie then do it and then stock the others.

I also NEVER recommend a betta for a community fish. Barbs are nippy right? If they are then you definatly shouldnt get a betta. You should also NOT get a betta if you plan on having guppys, they are bred to have long flowing fins that are irresistable to bettas, all you will do is stress out the majority of your fish and have alot of flushing to do.

Just my :

kel1216

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Kupcake said:
I personally dont think you should add anything while you have the gold fish. Why are you waiting to rehome him? You should only do what you can with the stock you have. If you are planning on getting rid of the goldie then do it and then stock the others.

I also NEVER recommend a betta for a community fish. Barbs are nippy right? If they are then you definatly shouldnt get a betta. You should also NOT get a betta if you plan on having guppys, they are bred to have long flowing fins that are irresistable to bettas, all you will do is stress out the majority of your fish and have alot of flushing to do.

Just my :
alright thanks.. its just i read about the barbs that says if you school them their nipping attitude will disappear thats why i thought the betta will be safe. Atleast now i know that the betta will attack the guppies.. i thought they only attack their own kind. About the gold fish i am still waiting to rehome him cause the 20 gallon would look empty without the goldfish. I will take him to another tank when i finally decided what to stock.. can you please tell me what fish to choose?
the tiger barb and the crayfish must remain what else can i add?
I think the 20 gallon is too enormous if its only for 1 crayfish and 6 barbs.

mike

kel1216

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
how about 1 crayfish
6 tiger barbs
1 small pleco (i dont know if there is availble for a small breed here in the philippines)
about 4 guppies
and a pair of angelfish?

is that ok?

mike

Kupcake

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
You could definatly add more than just the 6 barbs and the cray, I dont have much experience with fish TBH, I am a betta and frog person Others will come along and help you to stock a 20 gallon. I am sure there are pleanty of fish you can keep with your barbs. GL!

kel1216

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Kupcake said:
You could definatly add more than just the 6 barbs and the cray, I dont have much experience with fish TBH, I am a betta and frog person Others will come along and help you to stock a 20 gallon. I am sure there are pleanty of fish you can keep with your barbs. GL!

Thanks a lot cupcake!
well i like betta too..
any tankmates good with betta?

claudicles

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Barbs can be pretty aggressive no matter what school size you have. I would not put guppies or Angels in with them. How about another type of Barb?

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Won't the crayfish attack another, more peaceful type of barb more easily?

And I would not think that a pleco and cray together are a good idea.

Why not keep it at the cray and the tigers, and up the number of tigers?

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'd go with more Tiger Barbs & the Cray like Meenu has mentioned. The Pleco will most likely become a fish dinner for the Cray & Tiger Barbs will nip at anything & everything but especialy things with long fins. They are a very aggressive fish & the nipping behaviour stays no matter how many you have.

I would remove the Goldfish before you stock anything else. If you remove the Goldie & introuce new fish on the same day you shouldn't have to worry about over loading the bacteria population too much.

Bettas have no place in community tanks but especially ones that contain Crays, Tiger Barbs or Guppies. The Betta will kill the Guppies & will be killed by the Barbs or Cray.

kel1216

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Meenu said:
Won't the crayfish attack another, more peaceful type of barb more easily?

And I would not think that a pleco and cray together are a good idea.

Why not keep it at the cray and the tigers, and up the number of tigers?
okay no to guppies, angelfish, and bettas..

so what else can i add with my crayfish, 6 tiger barbs and??? any suggestions?
small colorfull fishes that is safe from the tiger barb and cray...

is what you mean is i stick on the cray and tiger barb only??? no other tankmates?

mike

Rhan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I think that is what Meenu means.

I have heard that Jaysee keeps tiger barbs with his cray (I could be wrong), but thats because tiger barbs don't sleep near the bottom of the tank like most fish do. Fish that sleep near the bottom are going to end up dinner for the cray. Also, tiger barbs are quite fast and have a better chance of getting away from a cray than slower swimming fish Keep in mind that tiger barbs really shouldn't be kept with other species of fish, particulalry long-finned or peaceful ones.

In my opinion, crays and fish don't go together at all. I wouldn't like to constantly live in a small area with a predator prowling about. But, if you want to try fish and cray, tiger barbs would probably be the best.

Also, I think you'll find that when you rehome the goldfish and get some more tiger barbs, they'll be very active and you won't need any other fish to make the tank look stocked.

Anyway, all those points demonstrate the best fish and cray tank stocking:
1 cray
6 (? someone might say a few more) tiger barbs.

kel1216

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Rhan said:
I think that is what Meenu means.

I have heard that Jaysee keeps tiger barbs with his cray (I could be wrong), but thats because tiger barbs don't sleep near the bottom of the tank like most fish do. Fish that sleep near the bottom are going to end up dinner for the cray. Also, tiger barbs are quite fast and have a better chance of getting away from a cray than slower swimming fish Keep in mind that tiger barbs really shouldn't be kept with other species of fish, particulalry long-finned or peaceful ones.

In my opinion, crays and fish don't go together at all. I wouldn't like to constantly live in a small area with a predator prowling about. But, if you want to try fish and cray, tiger barbs would probably be the best.

Also, I think you'll find that when you rehome the goldfish and get some more tiger barbs, they'll be very active and you won't need any other fish to make the tank look stocked.

Anyway, all those points demonstrate the best fish and cray tank stocking:
1 cray
6 (? someone might say a few more) tiger barbs.
I remembered before.. I was havign problem with my overstocked situation cause of my 5 gal tank. now finally for the love of my cray i purchased 20 gal high.
how many tiger barb would be best for a school (above 6) to avoid over stocking again...

FriendsNotFood

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Tiger barbs are the most agressive nippers of all the barbs. They would massacre a betta and harrass anything with the long fins The more in their school, the better. They will rough eachother up a bit and the more you have, the more equally spread the abuse will be.

Its not the schools REMOVE the nipping tendancies, it's just it redirects the tendancy to within their school. Even tetras are nippy in this way (though not nearly as agressive as tiger barbs)

I'm not even sure you COULD fit tiger barbs. They get to 5cm + and 6x5cm tiger's would overstock you.

To go with the crayfish you need the fish to be..
-Agressive enough to not roll over and be cray food.
-Fast enough to not be FORCED into cray food.
-Small enough not to over stock.
-Not a bottom dweller/sleeper

Your options are unfortunately limited.
Tiger barbs... maybe...
There might be a danio that would do it? They're crazy active/fast and might survive a crayfish. Thats all I know about danio's though. I think most are very slightly smaller than tigers.

And unless thats a dwarf cray, the new tank is still too small for an adult

Anyone else know? I've used up my knowledge on "living" crays. Butter and garlic is my other option

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I made my suggestion based on the fact that you said that the tiger barb and the cray had to stay. And I also know that Jaysee, another member here, has had a lot of luck with this combination. I would not add any other tankmates. I'd say you are fine with 6-8 tiger barbs and the crayfish.

FriendsNotFood

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Meenu said:
I made my suggestion based on the fact that you said that the tiger barb and the cray had to stay. And I also know that Jaysee, another member here, has had a lot of luck with this combination. I would not add any other tankmates. I'd say you are fine with 6-8 tiger barbs and the crayfish.
Not over stocked in a 20 gallon? :3

I will trust your wisdom, oh holy one!
Note: Where'd that silly hail emote go again? Can never find it when I need it
Edit:
MEENU

kel1216

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Meenu said:
i think i am about to buy 5 tiger barbs within this next few days...
I already have one so it gives me 6 TB for a school
and hope the situation will be like jaysee's.
This cray is giving me headaches eversince i bought it.
getting mad at it i even stopped calling its name "gary"
its been two weeks i never seen it eat actively,
all i can see is that, when it is cleaning its body then putting its mandibles in its mouth after eating. So i suppose its eating the dirt from its body.
But not really chase after other fish.
He is one boring cray :-\ :-[

kel1216

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Lilwystynyra said:

Edit:
MEENU
what is your idea lower than 6???

mike

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Lilwystynyra said:

Edit:
MEENU
Uhh, this is just my opinion, that's all.

kel1216 said:
i think i am about to buy 5 tiger barbs within this next few days...
I already have one so it gives me 6 TB for a school
and hope the situation will be like jaysee's.
This cray is giving me headaches eversince i bought it.
getting mad at it i even stopped calling its name "gary"
its been two weeks i never seen it eat actively,
all i can see is that, when it is cleaning its body then putting its mandibles in its mouth after eating. So i suppose its eating the dirt from its body.
But not really chase after other fish.
He is one boring cray :-\ :-[
Adding 5 tigers at once? Are you moving the goldefish out now then? (Oh, and no cussing! ) <--never mind, you didn't curse. The system is just screwy and won't allow certain (perfectly acceptable but you wouldn't let your 5 year old say them) words.

NC_OBS

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Don't forget there are a couple different color variants of the tiger barbs if you want some mixing appearance wise. If I'm not mistaken they will still school even if they're different colors.

kel1216

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
im sorry i didn't curse meenu. but im getting annoyed with this cray.. i have given all that it needs.. a cave, big tank, sand substrate, filter.. but it is still not acting normal.. or maybe it is normal in that way.. I bought a cray with a boring attitude. lol.
Jaysee is not answering my private messages maybe he is busy.

but oh yes once i buy 5 tiger barbs i will remove goldie and let it live in my 5gal alone.. or maybe with my guppies if i decide to buy guppies too. they will stay in the 5gal.

mike.

NC_OBS said:
Don't forget there are a couple different color variants of the tiger barbs if you want some mixing appearance wise. If I'm not mistaken they will still school even if they're different colors.
really? well that is a very good news to hear.

its time to make researches regarding beautiful barb colors that would school with the tigers..

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads