is my ph too high?

Discussion in 'pH' started by wonton55912, Mar 30, 2010.

1. wonton55912

wonton55912Valued MemberMember

its 8.2 is it too high

2. midthought

midthoughtWell Known MemberMember

I think that's going to depend on what you want to keep in the water. I have a betta fish who's in 8-8.2 water, but many fish have a smaller range of pH that they prefer, and most appear to prefer water that's more acidic than basic.

Generally speaking, a stable pH is better than a specific pH within the recommended zone. (That is, if your fish's range is 6-7.5, a steady pH of 8 may be better than if the pH were to jump around from 5.5 to 7 as you try to stabilize it.)

Also, a fish who's fine in 8 pH water may nonetheless not want to breed in 8 pH water. Many fish prefer lower pH for gettin' it on.

3. OP
    OP
    wonton55912

4. Prince Powder

Prince PowderWell Known MemberMember

According to the Fishlore profiles for guppies and platies, they have a recommended pH range of 7-8. As midthought said, stability is the most important thing. Many species of fish will adapt to a pH outside their recommended range. Since your tank was started several months ago, I believe it is rather safe to assume that all your fish have adapted.

5. Butterfly

ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

Has your ammonia gone down and the tank finished cycling?
    Most fish we buy at the LFS have been bred and raised in aquariums so they are less sensitive than wild caught fish and will readily adapt to the pH you have. A stable pH is much better than a fluctuating one caused by trying to make it "perfect"
    carol

6. Goldwing_Don

Goldwing_DonWell Known MemberMember

it's great for a saltwater tank...lol

7. OP
    OP
    wonton55912

its cycled its been cycled for about a month.

8. Shawnie

ShawnieFishlore LegendMember

you just ran out of test strips yesterday..and as recommended, they arent reliable ....so dont trust that your tank is cycled until you can get liquid kits to be sure )

9. OP
    OP
    wonton55912

i got the kit it said im cycled

10. Nutter

NutterFishlore VIPMember

As mentioned a stable PH is more critical than having the right levels. I have guppies, neon tetras, various barbs, rainbowfish, otos, bettas, severums & geos all in water of PH 8.2. Never had a problem so long as I drip acclimate them over a few hours. I only worry about keeping my planted tanks at the right PH. Other than that everything else goes into my tap waters parameters which is PH 8.2.

11. Butterfly

ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

The reason I asked is because your aquarium information says your ammonia is 4.
    Carol

12. Shawnie

ShawnieFishlore LegendMember

awesome!! which kit did you get? and what are the current readings for ammonia/nitrites/nitrates?

13. OP
    OP
    wonton55912

i ws mini-cycling then. i havent updated since then
    i got the api master test kit. my readings are 0,0,10