Is My Ph Level Too High?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by ToRo, Apr 23, 2017.

1. ToRoValued MemberMember

I have a 10 gallon cycled tank, still trying to get the correct fish to stock it from all the great suggestions. I was able to get some rasboras, floated them, added water,etc., within 2 days had lost them all, one still in the bag. Checked my water, before and after, ammonia, nitrites and nitrates are all good. My ph runs a pretty stable 7.4 Is that too high? I am looking for ember tetras but was reading that the water needs to be more acidic, could that be what happened to the others? I felt terrible and don't want to kill any more :( if the ph is too high what is the best way to bring it down? I also saw a video about adding distilled water fir my water changes....thoughts? And help!

2. madisons obbsessionValued MemberMember

How long did you acclimate for? I have rasboras and my lfs has embers(same water) and the ph is 8.0.

3. ToRoValued MemberMember

Floated for 20, then 1/4 cup of tank water added every 15 min 3x's. Then took some of the water in the bag out and added two more times. Netted out fish, the one that died in the bag looked like the biggest, healthiest of all of them..

4. Little Tank of HappinessWell Known MemberMember

Could we get your exact ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate readings? What test kit are you using? Personally I don't think pH could be the problem. Or they could have just been a weak batch from the store.

5. FanaticFishlore VIPMember

I'm not guessing the pH is too high.

I have a betta tank, and the pH is 8

6. KiksWell Known MemberMember

I definitely don't think it's the pH either. I have two tanks with a pH of 8.2 and no issues.
    I think it might have to do with your water and would as well like your exact readings.

7. madisons obbsessionValued MemberMember

That sounds good. Can you post your own parameters? And if possible your lfs PH? Maybe there was a major ph change between the lfs and yours.

8. ToRoValued MemberMember

Ok... just checked it, did a wc about 3 days ago. pH -7.4 Ammonia 0ppm Nitrite 0 ppm and Nitrates 5.0 ppm I might also add that in the tank is also a mystery snail and bristle nose (which I will be rehoming back to the fish store) that are both growing in leaps and bounds

and test kit is API

The water on top doesn't seem to move much and I have a maybe a protein film (not sure if that's what it's called) looks like rainbow colors. I skim it off when I do wc's. thinking about getting a different filter - thoughts on that?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2017
  9. Little Tank of HappinessWell Known MemberMember

Your readings are good (meaning you have a cycled tank) so no issues there. The thing on the top is it kind of grey and floats on the top? Looks a bit like gasoline or something? That's biofilm, I have it in my tank. It does no harm. It's caused by grease of food (mine appears after I feed fish flakes). Aeration will help get rid of it. Do you have an air stone that produces some bubbles? New filter may help it too. More flow certainly does, anyway ime. However, I am not the expert. @Anders247 @TexasDomer @BottomDweller are much more knowledgeable than I am.

10. BottomDwellerFishlore VIPMember

As Little Tank of Happines said more surface movement would help. Could you attach a spray bar to you r filter? Or add an air stone?

11. KiksWell Known MemberMember

To get rid of the biofilm you need more surface agitation. You need to actually break the surface of the water, rather than just get ripples.

12. ToRoValued MemberMember

Where the filter comes out into the tank is at or a little below water level so not sure about a spray bar... does it have to be above the water level?

13. BottomDwellerFishlore VIPMember

It would be best if it was above the water level so that it breaks the surface of the water. You could have it below water but point it up at the surface so it increases the surface movement.

14. Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

Your pH is fine, mine is higher than that and my fish are fine.

15. WraithenWell Known MemberMember

Kind of oddball thing to check but what is your kh/gh? You can use test strips to get a rough estimate. That could cause havoc when all other parameters are safe. I'd recommend trying a drip acclimation.

16. Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

Hardness usually isn't a big deal either, unless it is really low. Mine in extremely high, and my fish are fine.
    Strips are not accurate, so use a liquid test kit.

17. WraithenWell Known MemberMember

I believe it was texasdormer that had really high kh and had issues acclimating even with methylene blue baths

18. Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

I believe she orders online as well, I don't know her specific issues..... because I'm referring to when you get fish locally.

19. ToRoValued MemberMember

Is the liquid test made by API too - can be found at Petco/Petsmart?

We do have a water softener....

New filter in ... it's currently running with the current one. How long should I level both in order for bacteria to grow in the new one?
    Thanks for all your help too:)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2017
  20. AllieStenFishlore VIPMember

7.4 isn't too high at all. Sounds like you acclimated well too. Sometimes fish aren't as healthy as they look. It is more important to have a stable pH than a perfect one. Anywhere between 7-8 is pretty average.

I would get a kH/gh testing kit just so you know what your values are. It's good to know in case something happens.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice