Is My Nitrogen Cycle Complete ? With Pictures!!!

Kristina33

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hey everybody, I’m struggling to find information on how to tell exactly where my tank is at in the nitrogen cycle. My readings are: Ammonia (I think its currently a mix between 0 and 0.25ppm, check out the photos and let me know what you think) Nitrite (0ppm) Nitrate (0ppm). Where exactly am I at, and what is the perfect conditions to add fish ? Thank you in advance!!!
IMG_0582.JPG

IMG_0583.JPG

IMG_0584.JPG

GreekGills

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Welcome

Once you consistently get 0 amm, 0 nitrite, and some nitrate, you're cycled. To me, you have .25amm 0 nitrite and some nitrate at this point. I'm a newbie so I don't have a ton of info for you, but you came to the right place for help

What is your tank size and stocking plans? Water temp,hardness and pH info is important to know. The more info you can give about your tank, the better answers you will receive

Kristina33

Valued Member
Reaction score
GreekGills said:
Welcome

Once you consistently get 0 amm, 0 nitrite, and some nitrate, you're cycled. To me, you have .25amm 0 nitrite and some nitrate at this point. I'm a newbie so I don't have a ton of info for you, but you came to the right place for help

What is your tank size and stocking plans? Water temp,hardness and pH info is important to know. The more info you can give about your tank, the better answers you will receive
Hi! Thank you very much for your response. I thought nobody would reply lol. That’s fantastic, I’ll watch the ammonia, nitrates, nitrites and pH in the next few weeks and wait until it’s completely perfect. I have been cycling already for about 3 weeks. My tank is a Fluval Edge 48litre tank (picture included), it’s not massive so I don’t have a crazy amount of options as to stocking the tank, so feel free to suggest some options!
Thank you again and all the best
Image1525610637.082771.jpg

Kristina33

Valued Member
Reaction score
GreekGills said:
What are you using for ammonia?
That tank would work great for a betta, in my opinion. Maybe a couple snails also.
I began the nitrogen cycle with a product called bioculture which has ammonia in it to begin the cycle along with beneficial bacteria. Recommended to me by one of the marine biologists who works at the fish store... I think that is a great suggestion, I’ll take your advice on that. I may have to install a heater for the betta and begin aquascaping. This is addictive
Image1525611549.455298.jpg
. Thank you!!

emmysjj

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Here's what I'm doing in my two ten gallons that you may like
Tank one, betta and a few snails
Tank two, endlers, guppies, shrimp and snails.
Tank one is really peaceful and nice to watch. My other 10 gallon isn't stocked yet, but I can imagine it as a bright and active tank!

Kristina33

Valued Member
Reaction score
emmysjj said:
Here's what I'm doing in my two ten gallons that you may like
Tank one, betta and a few snails
Tank two, endlers, guppies, shrimp and snails.
Tank one is really peaceful and nice to watch. My other 10 gallon isn't stocked yet, but I can imagine it as a bright and active tank!
Great advice for stocking similar to my tank size! Looking at your combinations for the different communities you have happening online to get an idea of the vibe. Thank you

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Kristina33 said:
I began the nitrogen cycle with a product called bioculture which has ammonia in it to begin the cycle along with beneficial bacteria. Recommended to me by one of the marine biologists who works at the fish store... I think that is a great suggestion, I’ll take your advice on that. I may have to install a heater for the betta and begin aquascaping. This is addictive View attachment 435854. Thank you!!
You used a bottled bacteria with ammonia in it but unless you have been adding more ammonia I am afraid your tank is not and will not complete its cycle. The cycle (bacteria) needs a constant supply of ammonia to grow. Once the bacteria in the bottle consumed the ammonia it came in it started dying.

If you had added fish when you added the BB they would have produced the necessary ammonia but since you didn't then you need to add it by either adding fish, fish food that rots and forms ammonia or preferably, bottled pure ammonia.

You have come to the right place to get you back on track. We can help you get this tank up and running.

TexasGuppy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Ace hardware janitorial strength 10% ammonia is the only acceptable ammonia source you can get locally. $3. 10 drops in your tank will give you 1ppm ammonia. It's the easiest way to measure your cycle progress.

yukondog

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Welcome to the sight Kristina, I would start to build the tank and if you don't want to do a fish in cycle start putting a pinch of food in every day, or add a couple of guppy's. I've done fish in cycle many times at about the stage your at now. Good luck, you came to the right place

emmysjj

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
No problem! Let me know if you need any more ideas. All I have is small tanks so I'm used to it.

FishL:))

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Welcome Kristina!

To answer your ammonia question, I think you are in between 0 and 0.25. It was looking is looking a little green, so I would double check and maybe even test again to make sure.

Best of luck!

Kristina33

Valued Member
Reaction score
mattgirl said:
You used a bottled bacteria with ammonia in it but unless you have been adding more ammonia I am afraid your tank is not and will not complete its cycle. The cycle (bacteria) needs a constant supply of ammonia to grow. Once the bacteria in the bottle consumed the ammonia it came in it started dying.

If you had added fish when you added the BB they would have produced the necessary ammonia but since you didn't then you need to add it by either adding fish, fish food that rots and forms ammonia or preferably, bottled pure ammonia.

You have come to the right place to get you back on track. We can help you get this tank up and running.
Thank you very much for your help. It’s so insane how pet stores in Australia where I am give such biased advice. The guy there was like yes buy this bottle and wait four weeks and you shall have a cycled tank. Thank you for letting me know this is not the case and I need to keep adding a source of ammonia. So thanks to you I won’t have any problems with poor quality water conditions!!! Back on the cycle we go!

yukondog said:
Welcome to the sight Kristina, I would start to build the tank and if you don't want to do a fish in cycle start putting a pinch of food in every day, or add a couple of guppy's. I've done fish in cycle many times at about the stage your at now. Good luck, you came to the right place
That’s great advice! Thank you for your input, I will definitely take this into account. What kind of food would you say is the best kind to place in the tank which lets off the ammonia ? I will order your recommendation online to ensure I do the right thing.

TexasGuppy said:
Ace hardware janitorial strength 10% ammonia is the only acceptable ammonia source you can get locally. $3. 10 drops in your tank will give you 1ppm ammonia. It's the easiest way to measure your cycle progress.
Kristina33 said:
Thank you for your help!

Is this the one you recommend ? If so I’ll order ASAP! Thank you and best regards

TexasGuppy said:
Just getting the hang of the website and forgot to reply directly to this comment. Is this the bottle that you recommend ? (Picture included) how often should I put dosages of ammonia in the tank ? Thanks Texasguppy

Image1525692077.414310.jpg

TexasGuppy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Thats it. 10 drops will add 1ppm to your tank. I'd dose to 2ppm and add each time it gets to zero, first time may take a couple weeks. Do you know your temp and pH?

Kristina33

Valued Member
Reaction score
Fantastic, I had to be specific just in case of the scented soap kind... The temperature is 19 degrees Celcius in the tank, i have not yet added a heater (do you think a heater would help the cycle in any way ?) pH is 7.5

Ms rose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Kristina33 said:
Fantastic, I had to be specific just in case of the scented soap kind... The temperature is 19 degrees Celcius in the tank, i have not yet added a heater (do you think a heater would help the cycle in any way ?) pH is 7.5
yes heat it to 80 to 83, this helps build bb much faster

edit to add: haha @TexasGuppy , funny to see you here. op, i learnned alot for this guy!! hes a good person to have on you side! your in great hands here

edit #2: MAKE SURE YOR PH NEVER GOES UNDER 7.0 , this will stall your cycle, and make you loose your mind lol

Kristina33

Valued Member
Reaction score
Ms rose said:
yes heat it to 80 to 83, this helps build bb much faster

edit to add: haha @TexasGuppy , funny to see you here. op, i learnned alot for this guy!! hes a good person to have on you side! your in great hands here

edit #2: MAKE SURE YOR PH NEVER GOES UNDER 7.0 , this will stall your cycle, and make you loose your mind lol
Amazing, screenshotted all of these tips, this is a much more complex hobby than I thought it to be lol! thank you so much for the tips. I certainly wouldn’t have learnt this from my local Sales associate! So happy I joined the forum

Thunder_o_b said:
Greetings and Welcome to Fishlore
Thank you! Happy to be here

Mick Frost

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ms rose said:
I've successfully cycled tanks (by the dozens) at 6.0 for South Americans. I'm curious as to what might have caused your issues...
To the OP on this note, PH swings will cause lots of other issues including Nitrite availability, so just try to keep it stable for fastest growth.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom