Is my new filter stresing my Betta out?

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by WutAmIDoing, Aug 9, 2015.

1. WutAmIDoingNew MemberMember

I splurged on a Betta yesterday(not wise I know, I just couldn't stop thinking about the little dude :/ ) and I purchased the Aqueon QuietFlow 10 as a filter for him. The only thing is, once I got it working and the water started flowing, it seemed like the water was falling harshly and was creating bubbles underneath the surface, my Betta immediately hid as far underneath some decorations as he could, I turned it off noticing the odd behavior and he's back to swimming around.

I made a baffle but he still freaked out when I turned it on. Is there any other way I could make a baffle that would be more effective with keeping him from becoming too stressed?

2. BornThisWayBettas

BornThisWayBettasFishlore VIPMember

Welcome to Fish Lore!!!! Nice to meet you!! :D

My most recent betta was a result of my being unable to stop thinking of him, too lol!

What size tank is it? What did you use to baffle the filter with? Is their a knob/dial for adjusting the flow?

3. OP
    OP
    W

WutAmIDoingNew MemberMember

He's in 3 gallons right now. I used a plastic water bottle cut on either side that curled around where the water poured out, so the water fell from two different points instead of just one. And there isn't any knob or dial to adjust the flow :/

4. Geoff

GeoffWell Known MemberMember

I had the same problem with my betta. I replaced the filter (Top Fin 10) with a Tetra Whisper 3i and saw an immediate improvement. My tank is 5.5g. How big is yours?

ETA: Just saw you have a 3g. A Tetra 3i Whisper would be perfect for your tank.

5. TexasDomer

TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

You can raise the water level a bit so the water isn't splashing down into the tank so much.

6. OP
    OP
    W

I'll look into it! I doubt I'll be able to return this filter though which is somewhat disappointing :/

7. Geoff

Get another tank to use it in and stock it with something that can withstand the flow.

The Tetra Whisper 3i was like $12 or so at PetSmart.

8. BornThisWayBettas

BornThisWayBettasFishlore VIPMember

I agree with Geoff. Although, if getting a new one isn't possible, I "baffled" my filter by putting in an extra filter cartridge.

9. Geoff

I did that too. And put a prefilter over the intake. Just wasn't enough to make my betta happy. Maybe a prefilter will be enough for the OP. Worth a shot. They're considerably cheaper.

10. OP
    OP
    W

I'll try that! I would get another filter and use this one for a new tank but I promised my boyfriend no more pets till after college so I can actually save money :rolleyes:

11. Bob Ellis

Bob EllisValued MemberMember

Most HOB filter makers these days want you to have the level of the water right up to the discharge. I see many videos online with the water a good two or three inches down the tank. This makes a nice waterfall but isn't what the filter how the filter was designed to operate. If you can raise the water the filter discharge should have a much less aggressive effect on your tank.

12. Et tuValued MemberMember

I would return the filter. Baffling it will help to an extent, but it will still have too much horse power for a tiny tank. All stores, be pet or what ever will accept returns for cash back or store credit.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice