Is my new balloon belly molly pregnant?

maggs357

Hi! I recently purchased a balloon belly molly from PetSmart. I am suspecting she might be pregnant. She is hiding a lot, but not constantly. She looks like she might be slightly bloated, and kind of looks like a squared off tummy. I think I may see a gravid spot as well, but I’m not positive. I have a male silver molly who does follow and bump into/ rub against her. I don’t know if this would be the case if she were pregnant, or maybe it even influences this behavior. I am currently still researching this in particular. What do you think? Might she be pregnant? I am setting up a netted breeder box today just in case, and am getting ready to cycle a new tank as well since I’m at max capacity in my 29 gal. But before I start cycling a new tank, I would like to hear your opinions. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

AquaticQueen

Welcome to the forum.
If you just bought her, than she is probably still pretty young and I don't think she would be pregnant until she's a little older.
That doesn't mean she isn't pregnant though. How big is she?

maggs357

AquaticQueen said:
Welcome to the forum.
If you just bought her, than she is probably still pretty young and I don't think she would be pregnant until she's a little older.
That doesn't mean she isn't pregnant though. How big is she?
she is about 1.5 in long. She just seems so bloated to me and I know females can begin reproducing at 6months, so I thought it might be the case. I’ve also heard that female mollies from large chain pet stores are almost always pregnant, don’t know how true that is. She was in a tank with 4 other mollies

e_watson09

The answer is always yes in most cases with live bearers, even without looking at the photo. So I'd assume she is regardless.

Based on the photo she doesn't look visibly pregnant but that does not mean she isn't. Mollies can hold sperm for months so even if she isn't pregnant right now that doesn't mean she won't be tomorrow. The joys of live bearers!

I don't think she looks bloated or anything. Looks like a good healthy balloon molly!

maggs357

Thank you for your insight! I will keep an eye on her to look for any changes. For now, I think I will hold off on the new tank.

Top Bottom