Is my nerite hibernating or is she dead?

Nugs

IMG_20210512_113843.jpg
I got my 3 nerite snails a couple of weeks ago and I have 2 females and 1 male and I think the tiger nerite might be dead. I took her out and her plate was covering her sticky part so maybe she is just hibernating? I am worried because the first 2 nerites that I bought died on the first day.

Attachments

• IMG_20210512_113711.jpg
    IMG_20210512_113711.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 24

mattgirl

Just do the sniff test. If a snail is dead you will know by the really bad smell.

Upvote 0

Nugs

She smells better than the other snails.

Upvote 0

richiep

Looking at your tank what filtration are you using

Upvote 0

Nugs

Richiep: It is a 2.6 gallon. Do you think I should get a small filter? I have 2 neon tetras in there.
Mattgirl: She has been like this for 2 days

Upvote 0

richiep

Now you've answered I'll leave it to mattgirl

Upvote 0

Nugs

Should i get a filter tho

Upvote 0

richiep

Most definitely your tank may not be cycled and full of ammonia but I'd like mattgirl opinion

Upvote 0

MyFishAddiction

Almost Every tank needs a filter, also you only need like 1 nerite for every 10 gallons.

Upvote 0

Sofiafish17

Neon tetras like to be in big groups too, so you should set up another tank that is much bigger to put them in, and get maybe 10 more as well. I am not trying to be rude, but your tank does not look healthy. Some changes need to be made for how your fish are being kept. Everyone on here is super nice and we all love to help. Please read some articles on here they are very helpful. I know we can give you the guidance to get a better healthier tank set up, so don’t stress. What you need to do is cycle a new tank. I would say a 10 gallon would be okay for 12 neons and 3 Nerites. It is a bit close, but with maintenance you should be able to keep t under control. If you don’t know what cycle of a tank means or how to do it, we have some great articles about that on here too.

Upvote 0

mattgirl

Richiep: It is a 2.6 gallon. Do you think I should get a small filter? I have 2 neon tetras in there.
Mattgirl: She has been like this for 2 days
Should i get a filter tho
Yes, if you are going to have water pets you need to provide them a safe home. Even tiny tanks need filtration. For one this small a sponge filter should work. This tank (to be honest I cringe even calling it a tank) is too small for the creatures you have in it. Until you get a filter for it and attempt to cycle it you need to be changing out at least half the water in it daily. Your fish and snails are living in their own waste and I am afraid if you don't do something about it they are not going to survive.

Please read up on the nitrogen cycle and you will understand how important it is to the health of your water pets.

Upvote 0

Nugs

Ok. Thank you for all the help!

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Plantedtank2021
  • Question
  • rsjordan7
  • Snails