Is My Neon Tetra Ok? Help

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Fishgurl12, Apr 16, 2018.

1. Fishgurl12

Fishgurl12Valued MemberMember

Hi all,
    Posted this on the beginners forum but there was some differences of opinion. So thought I'd post here for a bit more advice...

I have had my neons for about 18 months but my tank has been established for nearly 3 years. For the last couple of months I've noticed that one of them is a lot skinnier than the others. His behaviour isn't different but he did seem to find it difficult to eat bigger bits of food so I now make sure to crush flakes a bit. Should I be concerned or does he look ok? Thanks
    View attachment 429445

It is the fish in the middle at the bottom

More pics...they're a bit blurrier though!
    View attachment 429447
    View attachment 429448

My levels are fine 0 ammonia 0 Nitrites 40 nitrates (tap water has high nitrates).

2. glofishguy1234567890Valued MemberMember

If your ammonia is not high then I’m gonna say that that is fin rot. No matter what it is, you should quarantine it because it could pass on the disease. You should treat it for fin rot and make sure that the water conditions are good.

3. DutchAquariumWell Known MemberMember

I don't think it's fin rot. It looks like your fish has a bent spine which could mean ther'e are other problems with it. What doe the fecal matter look like. Not eating or a thin fish could signify parasites.

4. Buganjimo

BuganjimoWell Known MemberMember

Its not fin rot, said fish has no fin damage, so thats out. The sunken stomach and not eating is pointing to parasites, what does the poop look like? Try to catch it and quarantine it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice