Is My Neon Tetra Ok? Question

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Fishgurl12, Apr 14, 2018.

1. Fishgurl12

Fishgurl12 Valued Member Member

I have had my neons for about 18 months but my tank has been established for nearly 3 years. For the last couple of months I've noticed that one of them is a lot skinnier than the others. His behaviour isn't different but he did seem to find it difficult to eat bigger bits of food so I now make sure to crush flakes a bit. Should I be concerned or does he look ok? Thanks
    af594e47-5b89-48ff-9ef2-e53c416db8f5.jpg

It is the fish in the middle at the bottom

More pics...they're a bit blurrier though!
    View attachment 429447
    View attachment 429448

Forgot to say my levels are fine 0 ammonia 0 Nitrites 40 nitrates (tap water has high nitrates).

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2018
  2. GrayGray4231

GrayGray4231 Well Known Member Member

Did you get a weird pic or is his back actually like that???

3. MissRuthless

MissRuthless Well Known Member Member

Separate him now. Crooked spine indicates neon tetra disease or fish tb, neither of which you want to spread around. He'll only get skinnier and more bent until he dies. By trouble eating, do you mean he spits out the food? If so then 100% definitely get him out of the tank now.

4. ystrout

ystrout Well Known Member Member

I had a bloodfin tetra that kind of looked like that. He ate bits of food then spit them out until he got super skinny and died.

5. OP
    OP
    Fishgurl12

IMG_6748.JPG IMG_6745.JPG

6. GrayGray4231

Ohh, it is. That looks really painful...poor little guy:( Do what @MissRuthless said.

7. MissRuthless

Yup. If he were mine I'd euthanize him. I don't know how to differentiate between fish tb and NTD, but the bent spine and concave stomach is definitely one or the other and keeping him around will only spread it to the rest of the school. It's a nasty disease and if you don't put him down, he'll just waste away until he dies. I'm really sorry to be the one to tell you. Neons used to be my favorite fish until I lost about 30 of them to NTD, and the experience was so horrible I gave up trying to keep them altogether.

8. endlercollector

endlercollector Fishlore VIP Member

Yes, please euthanize ASAP. Avoid putting your hands in the water and use gloves if possible. The other fish may never get the disease if you keep the water parameters very clean, but assume they're carriers.

9. MissRuthless

Ooh yes, ditto on the gloves. I recall reading when I dealt with it that fish TB isn't the same as human TB and can't transfer to us, but I know other diseases definitely can and with the multitude of misinformation in this hobby, I would not want to find out the hard way that that's not true.

10. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutch Fishlore Legend Member

Am I correct its colors are okay?

11. OP
    OP
    Fishgurl12

Oh no! Poor thing. Is it clove oil to euthanise? Or are their other methods people use? Also what does it mean to be a carrier? Will others get it eventually? I did lose a few (3) over night a few months back but never found out why. As this guy wasn't behaving unusually I thought he might be ok but will get him out asap. Thanks for the advice everyone!

12. GrayGray4231

Please use clove oil, a lot of it. Clove oil is the most humane thing compared to what some people do...

13. OP
    OP
    Fishgurl12

Didn't know fish diseases could spread to humans! That's scary! Should I do big water changes after I remove the fish?

14. DoubleDutch

Sorry guys but you're scaring a lot of people completely unnecessary in my opinion.

15. OP
    OP
    Fishgurl12

It's colour is fine! Why do you ask?

16. DoubleDutch

Real sick fish (especially if NTD) loose color.

17. M

Mr.Mang09 Valued Member Member

Yes euthanize him with clove oil. There’s some videos on YouTube on how to do it. Sorry about the little guy

18. B

Becknewt24 Valued Member Member

I had a rasbora like that. The food part didn't happen the the skinny then dead part did.

19. OP
    OP
    Fishgurl12

Really? Is there anything else that causes a curved spine?

20. DoubleDutch

There are a lot of "unknown" reasons showing this. Could be a virus, a genetic defect, etc etc.

The mentioned diseases show all kind of other symptoms as well. To be honest I bet that if it wasn't a neon no one would have mentioned NTD (what would have killed your complete stock by now).

One has to look at the complete picture before diagnosing the worst case scenario diseases is my opinion.

When one fish gets this you're not automatically "doomed". To be honest your other neons look great (a lot better than other neons in the trade).

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice