Is my mystery snail sick?

onolis

Reactions
About four days ago I bought 4 mystery snails. Out of these, one of them was floating before I bought it, but since I'd heard that that was normal I didn't question it. But it's been 4 days and it has been floating nonstop (though it has occasionally stuck to a wall or a plant) and hasn't eaten anything. I tried putting it on pieces of blanched vegetables like cucumbers and zucchini several times, but it just crawled onto a nearby plant. Yesterday I also noticed that it started to stink. The other 3 snails seem completely fine, though.

Salem

Well Known
Reactions
Experience
1 year
If it stinks then it's dead. You'll know the smell as soon as you smell it.

OP
O

onolis

Reactions
Salem said:
If it stinks then it's dead. You'll know the smell as soon as you smell it.
Yes, but although it smells, it's still moving.

RomeoOscar

Reactions
Experience
1 year
Usually floating snails are a bad sign, mine died shortly after when they started floating... Maybe it was already getting poisoned by nitrites or whatever back at the store and it's gonna get better eventually... Hopefully.

If you smell the snail, if it's dead it'll smell like rotten eggs. If it smells like a normal aquarium it's fine

Desi

Reactions
Experience
More than 10 years
You’ll definitely know the smell of a dead snail and then never forget it! :dead:

Debbie1986

Well Known
Reactions
my mystery snails float quite a bit. They also bomb dive the tank.

If you see no movement, then there's an issue. floating is pretty normal behavior. I would not worry yet. It may be adjusting after being brought home.

New Threads