Is My Mystery Snail Okay?

Discussion in 'Snails' started by hayreindeer, Apr 13, 2017.

1. hayreindeer

hayreindeer New Member Member

I've had this mystery snail for a few months now and today I noticed that he's been spitting out white stuff and I have no idea what it is.[​IMG][​IMG]

2. fjh

fjh Well Known Member Member

I can't see any of the white stuff, just bubbles. It's possible the white stuff is poop though.

However, his shell is growing inconsistently and looks clear/thin. Also, he's looking for food at the surface, suggesting that he's not finding enough to eat in your tank (or else just very greedy). What do you feed him?

3. Junne

Junne Fishlore Legend Member

I don't notice anything either............

He does look to be in need to added calcium though. His shell doesn't look very good. What are your water parameters, specifically the hardness/ph?

Snails need hard water with a higher ph ( over 7.0 ) for shell strength. You could also feed him calcium rich foods such as raw zucchini, carrots, broccoli, etc to help maintain his shell.

4. OP
    OP
    hayreindeer

hayreindeer New Member Member

I feed him algae wafers and sinking pellets, I'll get some zucchini at the store tomorrow
    Parameters: ammonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrate ~10 ph is right around 7

5. BeanFish

BeanFish Well Known Member Member

Spinach is the wholy grail of calcium, has like 10 times more calcium than zuchini my fish eat it with no problems, I guess the snail would too. Or kelp, kelp is even better but I dont know if he would eat it or not, it may also be hard to find, I know that I could not find it where I live.

6. Bizarro252

Bizarro252 Well Known Member Member

I dont know, but figured I would ask for my and OPs benefit... Would nori sheets (like for sushi) be a good substitute for kelp? I would assume they make them without added salt or preservatives if you look hard enough - just wondering if that would even be a good substitute.

7. BeanFish

I dont know really. Kelp is seaweed and nori sheets are seaweed too but there are lot of species.
    It would depend, I dont know if nori sheets come with calcium percentages, but if they are safe, have as much calcium as kelp or close to it and your snails eats it I guess it would be fine. If they are safe but they dont have that much calcium I think it would be better to go with spinach as I would expect nori sheets to be relatively expensive. I had some nori sheets hanging around for making sushi and my fish did not touch the piece I dropped in so I dont know. Now that I think it I am glad they did not touch it because I forgot about additives lol.
    Spinach is way easier to find and only has 60 ish mgs less of calcium which I dont think its a big deal.

8. KarenSoCal

KarenSoCal Well Known Member Member

Kale is another excellent source, and my mysteries love it!

9. BeanFish

Forgot about that one, I agree that it is great.

10. Junne

Junne Fishlore Legend Member

My fish and snails usually eat ALL veggies.... I HATE KALE and find it disgusting so I tried giving it to my fish/snails. They wouldn't touch it either! :emoji_stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::emoji_stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::emoji_stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

11. BeanFish

Kale is good with smoothies... when you cover up the taste with blueberries and stuff like that LOL.
    I guess different snails have different taste.

12. KarenSoCal

KarenSoCal Well Known Member Member

No explaining some people's taste! Kale is good!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice