Is My Mystery Snail Eating Enough With Goldfish Present?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MingKing

Reaction score
I recently converted my tropical 65g tank to a goldfish tank. Right now, I have 2 goldfish: an oranda and a calico ranchu. They're about 2-3 inches right now.

I also kept my mystery snail. Back when I had my tropical tank with angels, I didn't think too much about my snail because I know the angels aren't always picking for food and I often saw my snail digging around the substrate and eating other dead plant matter.

However, since converting my tank, my tank is now bare bottom and only has anubias and driftwood. My goldfish are, like all goldfish, always looking and eating whatever food they find.

I'm just concerned for my snail who I haven't seen eating even though I will drop half an algae wafer or a shrimp pellet in front of him. But he'll just move around it or not notice it and then I'll leave for a few hours and see that the food is gone because of the goldfish.

Long explanation aside, does anyone have any tips on making sure their snails are eating when housed with goldfish?

I also have an additional question: I've done some research and it seems I could fit 5 goldfish in a 65 gallon. Is that advisable? I have an Aquaclear 50 and a Penn plax cascade 1000 cannister filter.

Goldiemom

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yes, you can put 5 in a 65 as long as they aren’t comet, common, or Shubunkin. As far as feeding the snail, I feed my plecos at night when I turn out the lights. Then the Goldie’s don’t See when I drop the wafer in.

OP
M

MingKing

Reaction score
Yes, you can put 5 in a 65 as long as they aren’t comet, common, or Shubunkin. As far as feeding the snail, I feed my plecos at night when I turn out the lights. Then the Goldie’s don’t See when I drop the wafer in.
Oh! That's a good idea! Thank you!

And yes, I won't be getting long bodies goldfish with my round ones.

SFGiantsGuy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I agree. Most popular snails are mostly nocturnal anyway, so allow him to have his break on the "nightshift" while the other piggy goldfish are resting, then he shouldn't be interfered with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Top Bottom