10 Gallon Tank Is My Molly Pregnant?

XoxoDesireeXoxo

Hello! First timer poster long time…. Stalker? I am sure you have seen a bunch of these posts before but I am on the fence rather or not my Molly is pregnant. Many of the other photos I see are very obvious (bubble bellies) but mine is not.

A few days ago our Orange Molly (Nemo) has been acting weird. She has been constantly at the top of the tank (after being at the bottom for a few weeks) and is surrounded by the other mollies. We have two stingrays? and a silver fish that stay on the bottom.

After researching many of these posts my first concerns were the PH or nitrate levels. So I tested the water and it was in “caution” but not far off. Added some chemicals and waited. Then, more fish came to the surface…. Great . Tested the water again and it was the same. After some trial and error, I took all of the fish out and drained the tank… 70% of it…again.

After refilling it with water, testing the water (it was good) and putting the fish back they returned to normal…. Or so I thought. I woke up this morning to see Nemo at the top, surrounded by the other mollies again. The rest of the fish are on the bottom living their best fish life. Nemo and her gang drop down and hang out too but return to the surface frequently.

We thought Nemo was a boy but after doing some research I suspect she might be a girl (half moon fin instead of a pointy one). She has also gotten bigger but as you can see from the picture her stomach isn’t a balloon like I have seen pictures of other pregnant mollies have. My husband disagrees and just thinks she is fat.

Long story short…I need expert opinions. Does she look pregnant to you?

Tank Info If Needed
*10 gallon Tank
*Fish: 5 mollies, 1 silver dollar fish?, 2 tangs, and a snail
*Yes, I know this is way too many fish but the other 4 mollies are from our last Molly Jango who we bought without knowing she was pregnant. After having 20 fry she died and these four survived and I don’t have the heart to get rid of them (pets mart won’t take them).
*Tank has heaters and filtration system
*Oxygen Levels appear fine as the other fish have stayed under the water. The other mollies do not constantly stay at the top, just Nemo.
*No Live Plants

Attachments

• 734A5449-576B-445E-A6F6-0D711D1A50B3.jpeg
    734A5449-576B-445E-A6F6-0D711D1A50B3.jpeg
    102 KB · Views: 19
  • 6C273BAC-30FB-428C-B0C3-1984E2C2E804.jpeg
    6C273BAC-30FB-428C-B0C3-1984E2C2E804.jpeg
    109.1 KB · Views: 19
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 19

emeraldking

Your molly isn't a molly but she's a red wagtail swordtail. And she doesn't seem to be pregnant.

Upvote 0

XoxoDesireeXoxo

Your molly isn't a molly but she's a red wagtail swordtail. And she doesn't seem to be pregnant.

See, this is why I need professional help

I’m laughing and crying.

Thank you! ‍♀️

Upvote 0

emeraldking

See, this is why I need professional help

I’m laughing and crying.

Thank you! ‍♀
No problem. Everybody can make mistakes. Nothing to be ashamed of...

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
  • Brooklynn11
  • Molly
Replies
Views
Brooklynn11
  • Question
  • Ashlyn1620
  • Molly
Replies