Is My Molly Going To Be Okay?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Scoob, Apr 10, 2017.

1. Scoob

ScoobValued MemberMember

My shortfin Molly has been hovering near the bottom of her tank next to the bubble wall for a day now. She's always been a bit... Antisocial? But nothing like this. She's breathing and swimming okay, not hyperventilating. I'm not sure if she's pregnant or not, my male has had no interest in her at all for the past six months. She usually hides, and is very shy, but she looks really distressed. I think her fins are clamped, she's been eating fine, but her abdomen looks darker than normal to me. More sickly, I guess. If anyone knows what's going on, I'd really appreciate some advice. I'm not sure how fast it progressed since I switch between houses and was away for a week, so my mom was taking care of her. Oh, and there are a few very small round iridescent patches on her scales. The other fish in the tank are two shortfin mollies, one male one female, all very different looking (since I got them from an unreliable store that said I could keep them in a 10 gallon) and they've been on a flake dewormer for a week or so, because the male's excrement was white and stringy. I also have 4 mystery snails in the tank, which limits my treatment options a lot.

Tl;dr

Tank inhabitants: three shortfin mollies, though I'm not even sure about the sick one. She might be a weird looking platy, a weird looking Molly, or a weird looking gold dust Molly. I haven't seen anything like her.
    4 mystery snails.

Medication: They have been on a flake dewormer for a week or so.

Symptoms: Rubbing, lethargy, shyness, hovering at the bottom, clamped fins, small iridescent circles on abdomen, abdomen is more greenish black than I remember but maybe that's just my anxiety.

Live plants: No.

Cycled: Yes.

Temperature: 73 degrees Fahrenheit.

Thank you so much for reading, I'm really worried about her. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 10, 2017
  2. APierce

APierceWell Known MemberMember

Has she always had the dark spot on the top of her head?

3. OP
    OP
    Scoob

ScoobValued MemberMember

Yes, she's always had it. It hasn't changed in size or anything, it's just some kind of weird marking. Thank you!

4. Cori Elizabeth

Cori ElizabethWell Known MemberMember

Is she pregnant?
    Is it almost like she is weighed down?

5. OP
    OP
    Scoob

ScoobValued MemberMember

She might be, but I don't think she's ready to pop yet since she isn't very fat. Either that or she did yesterday and she's recovering. There aren't any fry in the tank. Thanks for responding :)

6. Cori Elizabeth

was her belly big? did/does she have a gravid spot near the anal fin? Is she swimming normally? How's her behaviour exactly?
    sorry for all the questions :)

7. OP
    OP
    Scoob

ScoobValued MemberMember

Haha no don't be sorry! I've never noticed a gravid spot, but now that I'm looking at her she does look to have a small one. Her stomach is an average size, I've seen her stomach get big before and she's about average right now. She's swimming normally, but I feel like she's being really careful about it. No swim bladder issues. She always been antisocial, not scared of but staying a bit away from the other mollies and her default mode has always been hiding in the plants. She's pretty scared of everything unless there's food, but she's been hiding in that one spot for hours, only getting up for a few minutes. Thanks! :)

8. APierce

APierceWell Known MemberMember

Maybe the medication is making her act a little "off".

9. Cori Elizabeth

Mollies like to hide away when they're ready to drop but her stomach isn't that big. if you think she may have been pregnant, did her belly recently get smaller? I think i see a gravid spot but she looks only to be 1-2 weeks along. Are there any males in the tank? if not how long have you had her? she can hold sperm up to 6 months.
    Is this behaviour not normal outside of her already anitsocial behaviour?

10. OP
    OP
    Scoob

ScoobValued MemberMember

I haven't been around for the last week, so I don't know about her stomach size, sorry. Usually she hovers around but I've never seen her rest on the bottom before now. There is a male and one other female in the tank. I don't know if it's because of pregnancy or not, but she does have a gravid spot on her. Thanks!

11. Cori Elizabeth

gravid spots mean pregnancy :) I would just monitor her for now, if she doesn't perk up in the next few days then I'd be worried. It could just be that she's given birth if you say her stomach has gotten bigger in the past.

Mollies gestation period is 4-6 weeks, she looks to be 1-2 weeks along so I'd be monitoring her stomach size. Good luck :)

12. OP
    OP
    Scoob

ScoobValued MemberMember

Okay! Thank you so much. I'll feed her some blood worms as a treat and see if she perks up :)

13. Cori Elizabeth

If you have any questions about molly pregnancy, keeping the fry or not please feel free to ask :)

14. OP
    OP
    Scoob

ScoobValued MemberMember

Alright, thank you! I've never had mollies before, and whenever they have fry I think they just turn around and eat them. Oh well. I'll update on what happens to her :).

15. Cori Elizabeth

Yes Mollies to eat their fry, if you want to keep them then they need to be seperated :)

16. OP
    OP
    Scoob

ScoobValued MemberMember

She's a bit more active today, I tried feeding regular food and ending the treatment so she's been excited all day. I did notice, though, that my pure white Molly's abdomen looked a bit darker than normal too, and that the sick one has spots of white over her eyes and back. Ugh, thinking it might be ich. What would be a good treatment? It may still be an overproduction of her slime coat, but I don't know why that would happen unless something was wrong.

17. Cori Elizabeth

does is look like salt or like fluff?

18. OP
    OP
    Scoob

ScoobValued MemberMember

Well, it's mostly transparent unless you look at it from the right angle, which is why I was thinking slime coat. It's tinted a very diluted white, I think.

19. Cori Elizabeth

Could you get a picture?

20. OP
    OP
    Scoob

ScoobValued MemberMember

I'll try to, but I don't know if I can get it from the right angle. It's really hard to see. I've noticed, though, that she has three white stripes on her tail. Could they be stress lines? My white Molly's gill covers are darker than normal, too. This is really odd. I can take a picture in the morning, it's really early where I am and I don't want to wake everyone up. Thank you.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice