Is my molly getting ready to have her babies?

curlysue

Reaction score
i brought home 3 mollies about 2 weeks ago and come to find out on is pregnant,,today she is staying at the bottom of the tank and i'm wondering if she is getting ready to have her babies or is she dying on me?Any info would be greatly appreciated,ty

leafgirl115

Valued Member
Reaction score
She could be having them or she could be dying. Do you have a picture of her? If she had not had babys in the morning and she is still on the botom she will most likly be sick. Is there any odd colours on her? Maby not swiming right or breething fast?

curlysue

Reaction score
Here are 2 pics i just took not very good ones though,,i have checked her over and don't seem to see anything wrong with her,,HELP!!!

Gunnie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Is she just hanging out at the bottom? I don't have any experience with livebearers, so this suggestion might not be the best, but maybe adding a little epsom salt to the water if your other fish can handle it might help? She could possibly be constipated and that could help. I'm at a loss with my lack of experience with pregnant fish. Anyone else have some ideas?

curlysue

Reaction score
i have just purchased a box of aquarium salt today and i have put some in tonight to see if that helps her out,im gonna put her in a breeder tank and i'll let you know if anything happens tonight,,thanks for all the help

skippi

Valued Member
Reaction score
if she is pregnant you will see a gravid(black) spot by her analfin. She will also look like she is going to explode because she is really fat. Once they start lying on the bottom they are getting close. My platy was on the bottom for a week before she was finally feeling safe enough to have her babies. Hope this helps you.

leafgirl115

Valued Member
Reaction score
She looks pregnant. If there are no fry take her out of the breeder net now! When i use them my fish get realy stressed out and die on me. I only keep fry in them.

Hiding away from other fish in the tank is a good sign. Keep a close eye on her because if she does have the fry she will eat them as will the other fish.

curlysue

Reaction score
I had a second tank that was ready for new fish so i put her in there by herself,im hoping she wont get stressed out about this.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom