Is My Mollie Pregnant?

Discussion in 'Breeding Fish' started by Courtney Harrison, Dec 9, 2018.

1. Courtney Harrison

Courtney HarrisonValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +21
    Hey all, I have noticed for a while now my Female Mollie stomach is getting bigger by the day. I have made a temporary breeding box (as I do not know when she will give birth any help on when could be amazing) with holes all over it while my actually breeding box is on its way (Christmas deliveries may take a week). My Mollie is breathing faster than the other two and has a darker colour behind her golden colour. I have 2 other Mollies but I'm not sure if they are female or male.
    If you could take a look of the photos and some help would be appreciated she looks pregnant but I am not too sure. If she Is pregnant now long should I keep her In the temp breeding box, as I do not want her in there if she isn't close. Im pretty new to having fish and having an unexpected pregnancy isn't ideal.

The first picture is good as it shows the size comparison between the two mollies.

I also have these photos of the black mollie chasing the golden mollie

These are the photo's

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2018
  2. penguin02

penguin02Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +984
    Experience:
    2 years
    Most female livebearers are pregnant when you buy them. If they're currently (or have ever) been kept with males, 99 times out of ten they'll be pregnant. Even if you let her give birth in the tank, there will probably be some baby survivors, so I wouldn't use a breeder box as it can stress out the mother.

EDIT: Also, welcome to Fishlore!

3. OP
    OP
    Courtney Harrison

Ratings:
    +21
    Well i have a lot of fish in my tank that can eat the babies... Siamese fighters tetras and more... I want to give the livebearers the best chance they can get. And also does she look pregnant to you? she is a bit fat and got some black under her golden colour

anyone else help? Is my molly pregnant?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2018
  4. Gourami36

Gourami36Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +831
    Experience:
    5 years
    The molly is very likely pregnant. I would suggest not putting her in the breeder box as it stresses the fish. Just put the fry in it after the molly gives birth

5. Ravenahra

RavenahraValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +157
    Experience:
    Just started
    I agree that you shouldn't leave her in the breeder box. As long as you have plants for the fry to hide in, you will eventually have some survivors.

But, if you leave the female in the breeder box too long, she can get stressed and sick and may die and/or have issues with the birth.

Don't worry too much about not getting some babies even with the female in the main tank.

A molly female can give birth to anywhere from 4 to more than 40 fry at any birth. If your molly is pregnant, you will most likely have 3 litters over the next 3 months because mollies are like that. Just because a molly gives birth doesn't mean she's not still pregnant. Mollies can store sperm up to 3 months and can give birth to 3 litters from one encounter.

You dont have to be careful with molly fry to get some survivors. At first, I left all my molly litters in my big lightly planted tank figuring my mollies and betta would eat them...well that didnt quite work put. Two of the females survived so I've had to take extra steps to prevent more litters.

6. OP
    OP
    Courtney Harrison

Ratings:
    +21
    I
    I have a friend who has a brand new massive tank and wants some fish so I said I would give her my fry when they are big enough so I was going to try and save as much babies as i can... could I just put her in the breeding box when I know she will give birth within 24 hours ?

7. Ravenahra

Ratings:
    +157
    Experience:
    Just started
    Putting mollies in a breeder box is risky becasue they dont like confinement. It stresses them.

As for your friend's tank, even if you only save a few fry, if they are the right gender, the mollies will fill even a large tank in less than 1 year.

Some molly basics:
    Mollies are built to breed. You always need to have more females than males in a tank becasue the males constantly want to breed. If there are not enough females to divide a male's attention, a male can be so aggressive that he'll stress the female to the point of illness or death.

Female mollies can get pregnant all year round. There is no breeding season with mollies. As long as there is a male present or as long as a male was present in the last 3 months, a female is pregnant. Females give birth to about 1 litter per month. Do, as long as you keep a male and females together, you'll have 12 litters from each female every year of 4 to 40 or more fry each month.

Molly fry are survivors. I left my fry in my big tank and didnt do anything to help the fry survive and I still ended up with 2 new mollies. I moved my male to a different tank in August and my mollies are still giving birth to litters of 10 to 30 every month since then.

I'm not trying to discourage you because mollies are a lot of fun with a lot of personality. I'm trying to help lower your worries about the fry. Mollies are survivors, even the fry, and even if all you do is rescue the fry as you see them, your molly population will pretty much be guaranteed to be doubled within 2 months.

8. OP
    OP
    Courtney Harrison

Ratings:
    +21
    Is my Mollie even pregnant or is it just fat ???

9. Annie59

Annie59Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +578
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Is it me or does that molly look almost like a male?? The one that's suppose to be pregnant.....

10. Ravenahra

Ratings:
    +157
    Experience:
    Just started
    The gold and black one? It might be. The analfin is more pointy and less circular but the fish might have it folded near its body due to stress because it's not as long as most males I've seen.

And the pictures of the black mollies dont show the fins.

Still, if there is a male and female together in the tank, the op will have a pregnant molly at some point so the advice for a pregnant molly is still helpful.

11. kizkot

kizkotNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +4
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I believe you have s pregnany molly

12. Annie59

Annie59Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +578
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I didn't say it wasn't helpful lol.
    But I'm thinking that black and gold one is a male. Even with the fin tucked under it's looking like a male. I could be wrong but I don't think so. Look close at the first group of photos at the second picture.
    I'm guessing a late blooming male.

13. OP
    OP
    Courtney Harrison

Ratings:
    +21
    Thanks

It either that or a fat boy

Okay thanks

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2018