Is My Mollie Pregnant?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Colt Frost

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I bought 2 Mollies 2 days ago. 1 is male 1 is female. The male is happily swimming around the tank and exploring. But the female is just slowly swimming near the bottom. One cause I've read about on this is that she's pregnant. She won't come up to get food like the male. She'll wait till it's near the bottom then go for it. Is she just pregnant or is she sick? I'll provide some pictures. And the platies absolutely adore her. They won't leave her side.

Attachments

andychrissytank

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
The male may be harassing her when you aren't around. The recommended ratio of males to females is 1 male to 2+ females. Mollies can also store sperm from previous males for months on end, so they are usually "pregnant" all of their lives when they hit maturity (4-6 months old or so) as long as a male is around

I also have red platies and white mollies in my livebearer tank:emoji_thumbsup:

Colt Frost

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
The male may be harassing her when you aren't around. The recommended ratio of males to females is 1 male to 2+ females. Mollies can also store sperm from previous males for months on end, so they are usually "pregnant" all of their lives when they hit maturity (4-6 months old or so) as long as a male is around

I also have red platies and white mollies in my livebearer tank:emoji_thumbsup:
So does that mean I should go get another female? Also, are dalmatian mollies able to breed? I read somewhere that dalmatians are a cross between a black mollie and a white mollie and that the offspring weren't able to breed.. And I think a female dalmatian would look good in my tank.

andychrissytank

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I used to have dalmatian mollies and bred just like any other molly. I don't have them any more since it's a big controversy about dalmatians and they way their spines are bred.
I wasn't creative and her name was just Molly lol

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 24 26.7%
  • No

Votes: 8 8.9%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 58 64.4%