Is My Loach A Yo Yo Loach?

angiec

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I'm toen between yo yo loaxh of gokden zebra loach.. I'm new to this so maybe I don't have the eye for it yet
VideoCapture_20190422-225905.jpg

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Looks like a thin golden zebra. Make sure you fatten in up on a carnivore diet (shrimp pellets, blood worms and brine shrimp). Pretty sure these guys need company of their own kind as well.

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Can you get a clearer pic straight from the side? I also don't think it's a yoyo, but it could be a marble

Jellibeen

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Looks like a zebra loach to me. They are schooling fish and are quite active in my experience. I had mine in a 29 gallon and they were constantly glass surfing- swimming up the sides of the tank, a behavior fish may exhibit when they are in too small of a tank. I moved them into a 90 gallon and they seem much happier.

OP
angiec

angiec

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Demeter said:
Looks like a thin golden zebra. Make sure you fatten in up on a carnivore diet (shrimp pellets, blood worms and brine shrimp). Pretty sure these guys need company of their own kind as well.

This is how I purchased him so I had no clue! I did ask someone in an aquarium store and he also said he looked thin but wouldn't ID him when asked. He's in a community tank and honestly is there a way to give him more food without the others getting to him? Also, I do have shrp in the tank and I was told he would eventually eat them is that true?
nikm128 said:
Can you get a clearer pic straight from the side? I also don't think it's a yoyo, but it could be a marble
Best I could do for now
VideoCapture_20190423-082430.jpg
VideoCapture_20190423-082524.jpg

Basil

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I think golden zebra. I was waiting for my LFS to get these in but got impatient and purchased Queen loaches (Botia Dario) instead.
Does the store have more? They really do thrive in s social group. I have 7 of mine in a 75 g.

Coptapia

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I don’t think this one will live. It’s rare for one to come back from this degree of emaciation...

OP
angiec

angiec

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Basil said:
I think golden zebra. I was waiting for my LFS to get these in but got impatient and purchased Queen loaches (Botia Dario) instead.
Does the store have more? They really do thrive in s social group. I have 7 of mine in a 75 g.
They do have more but I purchased this one a while ago I'd have to double check

Coptapia said:
I don’t think this one will live. It’s rare for one to come back from this degree of emaciation...
All of the ones in the tank we're this size. I have a 5 gallon would seperating and feeding him seperste for a bit have any effect before reintroducing him to a bigger tank

Basil

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
9F80617B-DD2C-4ECE-8FB8-3B24571FAAE2.jpeg
C4FCBCF2-1E6C-42CA-BD54-F4A04D83F4DB.jpeg
angiec said:
They do have more but I purchased this one a while ago I'd have to double check

All of the ones in the tank we're this size. I have a 5 gallon would seperating and feeding him seperste for a bit have any effect before reintroducing him to a bigger tank
My Queen loaches were all young and skinny at purchase. I did 2 rounds of Levimisol and they are all doing great. I have one smaller and thinner than the rest but he’s active and eats so I try not to worry.
If you do use levamisole, do a ton of research. There was a post here reporting discrepant directions.
I did a half dose and added the rest 12 hours later. I would have to look up the directions but I think you then wait another 12 hours and add charcoal to your filter and do a large water change to remove most of the med. and I repeated this in 3 weeks time.
Sadly, I lost one of my golden diamond barbs each time I did the wormer so I don’t know if it was coincidence or not.
I’ve added pictures of one of the loaches shortly after purchase and now, 4 months later.

OP
angiec

angiec

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Basil said:
9F80617B-DD2C-4ECE-8FB8-3B24571FAAE2.jpeg
C4FCBCF2-1E6C-42CA-BD54-F4A04D83F4DB.jpeg

My Queen loaches were all young and skinny at purchase. I did 2 rounds of Levimisol and they are all doing great. I have one smaller and thinner than the rest but he’s active and eats so I try not to worry.
If you do use levamisole, do a ton of research. There was a post here reporting discrepant directions.
I did a half dose and added the rest 12 hours later. I would have to look up the directions but I think you then wait another 12 hours and add charcoal to your filter and do a large water change to remove most of the med. and I repeated this in 3 weeks time.
Sadly, I lost one of my golden diamond barbs each time I did the wormer so I don’t know if it was coincidence or not.
I’ve added pictures of one of the loaches shortly after purchase and now, 4 months later.
Does the type of loach matter? I can't tell if it's a yoyo loach or a golden zebra. Are they both schooling fish? And are they all supposed to be thicker than this?

Jellibeen

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The general consensus is that it is a zebra loach. Yoyo loaches are called that because their stripes spell out "yoyoyoyo."

They are both schooling fish and they both should be thicker than that.

Seriously Fish is a great resource for looking up the needs of fish. Here is the page on zebra loaches:

They recommend a tank that is roughly 4 foot by 1 foot. A standard ten gallon is nowhere near that size.

New Threads