Is My Lighting Where It Should Be?

AustinS

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have a few problems with my aquarium and I suspect the amount of light I'm giving my aquarium may be to blame. I have struggled with the amount of brown algae (diatoms?) that grows all over the bottom of the aquarium, especially the shaded areas under my rather large driftwood centerpiece, as well as some green algae on the glass. I previously had some sword plants that wouldn't gain much height or shoot off runners, and my Val and Dwarf Sagittaria both stayed a lot shorter than I expected them to. Some medication I used killed all my plants except my Anubias Nana and I just bought a few replacement swords which I would love to be healthier than the last ones.

This is a 29 gallon freshwater aquarium with a Marineland LED Strip Light (size 24 - 6.8 watts). I have an automatic timer that turns it on 30 minutes after sunrise and it turns off right when the sun sets. Is this light not bright enough or do I leave it on for too long? I know I've seen people recommend at least 8 hours a day for plants but I didn't consider I could be leaving it on for too long. To be clear, I currently have Anubias Nana and Amazon Swords only, and am hoping to put in some smaller foreground plants (any recommendations? Going for a jungle-ish look). Is the lighting I'm providing adequate and/or overbearing? Thanks for any advice.

EDIT: If I need more lighting, I could add another identical light to the first one if that would be helpful (unless I'd be better off just buying a better one, I'd prefer not to have had wasted money on the first one though).

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
It shouldnt be a matter of lights being on too long, but maybe try reducing the time by an hour to an an hour and a half. I still wouldnt be concened though as I had the same issue with my african cichlid tank and there have still been no negative side effects in about 4 months

AustinS

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
It shouldnt be a matter of lights being on too long, but maybe try reducing the time by an hour to an an hour and a half. I still wouldnt be concened though as I had the same issue with my african cichlid tank and there have still been no negative side effects in about 4 months
I'll try it out, thanks! I was just checking to see if there is a way to improve chances my success with my plants and fight against brown algae, or if maybe I made a mistake with my setup.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom