Is my lighting too bright for my Neon Tetras?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by 7LoavesFewLittleFishes, Dec 6, 2012.

1. 7LoavesFewLittleFishesNew MemberMember

I have a 10 gallon tank and it has two 15-watt aquarium bulbs in it, the standard ones that came with a TopFin starter kit. I have read that Neon Tetras like some-what dim lighting. Am I giving them too much light? I have 7 of them, they seem to be doing very well, staying in a school together. I also have a male Betta in the tank and they seem to be getting along just fine. (only been one day though so far). Thanks. :)

2. kinezumi89

kinezumi89Fishlore VIPMember

Nah, mine are under two 54W T5HOs and they're just fine. :) Be sure to keep an eye on how the betta and neons interact. The betta may decide he'd rather be alone, and the neons may become nippy towards the betta's flowing tail. I would have an extra tank on hand in case things don't work out. :)

3. bankruptjojo

bankruptjojoFishlore VIPMember

the neons should be fine but seems like a lot of light. do you have live plants? if not you might have a algae problem down the road. keeping your lights on less hours would help say 6-8. or even removing a bulb if it doesnt make it to dim.

just to make sure your saying its 30w total right. 3w per gallon is high light.

4. OP
    OP

7LoavesFewLittleFishesNew MemberMember

I have a 5.5 gallon tank ready to go if there are any problems. I am hoping there won't be any so I can get another Betta for the 5.5 :)

Yeah, 2 bulbs, 15-watts each, so 30-watts in total. I will try removing a bulb and see what it looks like. Thanks for the quick responses.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2012
  5. Terra

TerraWell Known MemberMember

If they're incandescent bulbs (which i think most of those starter type kits use) you may wanna switch to CFL just to avoid the massive heat those are putting out. My incandescent hood really made the water HOT at the top until i swapped it to cfl's.

6. OP
    OP

Yeah they do put out a lot of heat. I think I am going to hit up a store tomorrow and look for some CFL's for my tank.

7. fishaddiction

fishaddictionValued MemberMember

It should be fine I never had an issue.

8. OP
    OP

I switched over to two 10-watt CFL's. The tetras have been sitting at the bottom of my tank, sometimes they go back and forth but only at the bottom. I am hoping they will just get used to the brighter light over time; or is it too bright for them?

9. kinezumi89

kinezumi89Fishlore VIPMember

You can also get floating plants to help block some of the light, if you think it may be an issue.

10. bankruptjojo

bankruptjojoFishlore VIPMember

I think it will just take time. My neons are in much brighter light 2 t5-ho bulbs. They come right up to me when I come to say hi.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice