Is My Lighting Ok?

skllkd

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hey everyone,

I feel like I’m writing post on every section of this forum... but that’s because I want to make sure everything is alright with my tank haha.

I have a 10 gallon planted tank, with 2 Java Ferns, 4 Anubias, and 1 Amazon sword. I use Seachem Flourish as nutrients, and I am not running a c02 injector.

My question is regarding lighting - how much lighting should I have, and how long should I run it (regarding the low-medium light plants that I have).

Attached is a picture of the lighting system I have for my 10 gallon tank - it’s from a Topfin 10 gallon starter kit.

IMG_0932.JPG

IMG_0930.JPG

LED
1.5 W
DC 12 V

I don’t know a lot about this - so if someone can help me a let me know if 1/ this is enough for the plants I have, and 2/ for how many hours should I have the lights on.

Thank you

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
It's likely fine for the Anubias and Java fern (though it may not let them grow well, just likely keep them alive), but I'm thinking it won't be enough for the Amazon sword (which would also really benefit from root tabs - liquid ferts in the water column won't help much).

Unfortunately many of the stock LED lights in kits like this one aren't good for plants.

WTFish?

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I don’t know about amazon swords but I have the rest and then some, I added this light, it’s great for my low light plants.
Tingkam 40CM Aquarium Fish Tank Waterproof fixtures aquarium lighting - with soft suction cups (White)

skllkd

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
So if I add that, should I run it in the same time as the system I currently have? And also - how long should I keep the light on every day? I keep finding conflicting infos online... I really don’t know which one is right - 6 hours, 8, 9... 12?

WTFish?

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
skllkd said:
So if I add that, should I run it in the same time as the system I currently have? And also - how long should I keep the light on every day? I keep finding conflicting infos online... I really don’t know which one is right - 6 hours, 8, 9... 12?
I run mine together, they are plugged into the same timer for 12 hours a day, but mine is a ten and a five gallon. If you get algae just shorten the time period.

skllkd

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
What do you mean 10 and a 5 gallon? As in 2 tanks, one of 10 g and one of 5 g? I’m wondering if I can run both this light you’re suggesting and my current system, at the same time, in the same tank.

Also - is the wattage of a light fixture what is written on the fixture? (e.g. 1.5 W for the one I have) - or do you have to multiply that number by the amount of bulb it contains - my has 6 so 6 x 1.5 = 9 W light fixture?

Thanks

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
The whole fixture might be 1.5 watts. Those lights really aren't good.

I'd get a Beamswork (@bizaliz3 which one is the one for plants?) - it'll grow your Amazon sword and it's cheap. I'm not sure that your light or the one WTFish suggested will be enough.

WTFish?

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
skllkd said:
What do you mean 10 and a 5 gallon? As in 2 tanks, one of 10 g and one of 5 g? I’m wondering if I can run both this light you’re suggesting and my current system, at the same time, in the same tank.

Also - is the wattage of a light fixture what is written on the fixture? (e.g. 1.5 W for the one I have) - or do you have to multiply that number by the amount of bulb it contains - my has 6 so 6 x 1.5 = 9 W light fixture?

Thanks
Yes, sorry I meant I have one in each of my two tanks, heavily planted. I run this light at the same time as the lights on the hood for 12 hours. But since you have a sword that I’m not familiar with I’d take TexasDomer’s advice...this may not be strong enough for that. I only have anubias, water sprite, java fern, hornwort and moss balls...

skllkd

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Ok cool. I might get rid of the sword and replace it with another Fern then. Thanks for the info everyone!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom