Is my lab holding?

delta5

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1428365105.375082.jpg

Just noticed it has that "turkey neck" look like it's holding.

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1428365197.879900.jpg
ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1428365265.462559.jpg

Thai Aquarium owner
Yes

Vyvid
Does that mean babies?! Eeep! Cichlid beebees!!!

Thai Aquarium owner
Certainly not holding gobstoppers

Vyvid
But.. But those are delicious

delta5
I guess this means I need a fry tank or a hang on fry net if I don't want them to be ate.... I'm def not going to pull the rocks out to catch her tho. Maybe just let Mother Nature run her course this time?

Vyvid
I guess this means I need a fry tank or a hang on fry net if I don't want them to be ate.... I'm def not going to pull the rocks out to catch her tho. Maybe just let Mother Nature run her course this time?

Good way to ensure only your strongest fry survive

Dave98
ive ALWAYS wanted to breed labs

delta5
If I would have known they'd breed this early in a new tank then I'd have plenty of rocks with small drill holes.

Paulvechkin
Are you guys sure? that looks like a male to me. My Female Lab never had that much black

LeoDiaz
Are you guys sure? that looks like a male to me. My Female Lab never had that much black

That's not a good way to sex them, only sure way is venting. Looks like she's holding does she eat? If this is her fist time holding just let nature take its course. Because you can make the new mom get scared and eat her fry.

Paulvechkin
I'm sure its not the best way but those black vertical stripes are definitely more common in males. Is its throat moving? When mine held it looked like she was constantly swallowing.

LeoDiaz
I'm sure its not the best way but those black vertical stripes are definitely more common in males. Is its throat moving? When mine held it looked like she was constantly swallowing.

True but all is possible with this fish, friend of mine had what look like a dominate male holding.

delta5
she is not eating and looking a little pale. I been watching them for a good part of the day and it seems like a few fish are staying near her. Kind of like she has their next meal.

I might pull some of the top rocks and drill a few holes for any fry to hopefully use to escape being ate. Add the rest of the willow moss back to the tank as well.

Do you guys/gals think if I stacked more rocks and put the moss near the surface the fry would hang out there for easy feeding?

Yes, she is doing the chew motion. At first I thought she was doing it because she was stressed but there's eggs or fry in there.

True but all is possible with this fish, friend of mine had what look like a dominate male holding.

This is because they are considered "dirty" right? Not pure.

LeoDiaz
Ok, so she is holding you can't really save the fry in the main tank without removing her. You can try proving hiding spots but once the fry survive they will get a litte cocky and venture to far and get eaten. They get male coloring to try to protect themselfs from bulling and other males in the tank.

Paulvechkin
she is not eating and looking a little pale. I been watching them for a good part of the day and it seems like a few fish are staying near her. Kind of like she has their next meal.

I might pull some of the top rocks and drill a few holes for any fry to hopefully use to escape being ate. Add the rest of the willow moss back to the tank as well.

Do you guys/gals think if I stacked more rocks and put the moss near the surface the fry would hang out there for easy feeding?

Before you start restructuring your tank have you thought about what you will do with the fry? This being her first hold likely most will accidentally eaten by the mom and you'll be lucky to get 20 that survive unless you strip them (wouldnt recommend on her first hold). If you do "save the fry" you might have up to 100 in her next batch, do you have room for 50-100 more fish? What if they start inbreeding? Labs are fairly common and easy to bread so not a lot of LFS will take them let alone buy them off you. If you let them stay in the tank with your other cichlids you'll be lucky to see the 5-10 strongest survive to adulthood, rehoming 5-10 is much easier than 100. Maybe you can find someone near by who keeps a species like needs live food such as a Pike Cichlid, Dovi, Jaguar cichlid etc who will take them from you for feeders.

My recommendation is leave mom and her babies in the tank and let nature take its course and either keep the survivors or re-home them.

delta5
I do plan to leave her alone this time. But I'm still prob going to drill some of the rocks for the future. I think if I was going to actively breed, it would be demasonI only tank, which I am thinking about doing.

Paulvechkin
DemansonI are really cool fish but they are mean, mine killed every female he had.

delta5
DemansonI are really cool fish but they are mean, mine killed every female he had.

I think one of mine is female. I have 2 in the tank and so far they leave each other alone for the most part. I'm having a hard time finding females for a decent price. I'm not willing to pay 12 dollars per fish from these lfs.

Paulvechkin
Mine killed 3 females, at that point he became a permanent bachelor, where I live they are closer to $20 a fish

Dave98
the demasonI around here are only 8$ for sub-adults!?

Paulvechkin
That's nuts! Must be more in Canada, I paid $12 for my Labs $18ish for the DemonsonI and $15 for my Red Zebras. They are expensive but you can't beat the color of Africans with any other Freshwater fish

delta5
That's nuts! Must be more in Canada, I paid $12 for my Labs $18ish for the DemonsonI and $15 for my Red Zebras. They are expensive but you can't beat the color of Africans with any other Freshwater fish

Wow, I paid 5.xx dollars for my red blotched zebras.

LeoDiaz
You can make some good money selling fry from Africans. I sold the fry from my yellow lab female at .75inches for $3 each made $60. African are nice but I sold mine to go with something more calm.

Vyvid

Hey now lol

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1428432593.724632.jpg

delta5
I'd luv electric blue acara breeding but my tank is too small..

Dave98
happens to the best of us

Paulvechkin
Haha ok, on an individual fish there are definitely some beautiful SA/CA cichlids too lol. Green Terrors, Acara, Discus, Angels etc, BUT as a whole

Vyvid
I do love the overstocked colorful African look. But I like how the different SA/CA colorfuls also come in very different shapes. I may just not be well versed in Africans but most of the brightly colored tanks I see all the fish are shaped relatively the same.

Now, give me that tank pls.

Thai Aquarium owner
If you wish to save the fry, you could " strip " the fry at about 16 days old, and place them in a grow out tank.
If you perform this procedure, make sure you know exactly the safe method of doing this, or the female may get extremely stressed or injured.
Prices paid for fish are usually relative to the quality of them IE Wild fish are most expensive followed by F1, then F2, after which they become " tank bred " of which some will have a provenance and some will not.
FYI useing Texas Holey Rock gives the fry a multitude of hiding places, and some will survive

Paulvechkin
I do love the overstocked colorful African look. But I like how the different SA/CA colorfuls also come in very different shapes. I may just not be well versed in Africans but most of the brightly colored tanks I see all the fish are shaped relatively the same.

Now, give me that tank pls.

I prefer the "predator" aspect of SA cichlid vs their mostly vegetarian African counterparts. SA just seen more cool. That said I want 100G tank of each.

delta5
I'm thinking if my yellow labs were F1s i'd breed to sale, but since they aren't, I'll leave them to the fray of mother nature.

LeoDiaz
Let's get back on topic folks.
Here's the original post
We answer that already lol we just talking about random things now lol.

Lucy
We answer that already lol we just talking about random things now lol.
LeoDiaz then start a new thread rather than taking over some else's.
It's rude to do so.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Adelya6511
  • Question
Replies
Views
KribensisLover1
Replies
Views
Demeter