Is my Kribensis pregnant?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish and Invertebrates' started by Dom90, Jul 21, 2015.

1. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

She looked a little "full" this morning when I was feeding the fish.
    ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1437507133.221056.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. OP
    OP
    Dom90

Butterfly would you have an idea?

3. T

The Red Severum Valued Member Member

Well Kribs lay eggs, so if your krib is ready to breed it will pick a certain area to lay her eggs. I have had the best luck with caves, but if your krib is in a community tank it could cause issues because the parents get very protective over their young.

What is her behavior like?

4. OP
    OP
    Dom90

Thanks for answering. The male and female have been swimming together lately and I have noticed they have been hanging out nearly the reef cave decor I have in the tank. So their eggs may be in there. How do I know if she's ready to breed? The kribs are actually one of the smaller occupants of the tank. The one who's in charge seems to be a Victorian hap.

5. T

I normally would not suggest Kribs and Haps together, what is the tank size?

Also, I would watch carefully after you do your next waterchange.

6. T

Thai Aquarium owner Well Known Member Member

Kribs are egg layers, and will only lay eggs on the roof of some kind of cave.
    If you have any kind of Haps along with the Kribs, this will be a recipe for disaster
    The Kribs are extremly protective of the small fry, and the Haps are piscavorious.
    I leave you to work it out.

7. OP
    OP
    Dom90

The tank is 75g, I was planning to take out the fry once they hatched or take out the eggs. Would this be possible?

8. T

Depending what the other tank mates are, it could be possible. But like Thai Aquarium said, the stocking could be hazardous and just cause major issues.

9. OP
    OP
    Dom90

The stock in my 75g is listed on my profile.

10. T

The Nyereei sticks out to me in that stocking list. Also with all of the SAE, the eggs have a pretty slim chance on making it through when the lights turn out.

11. OP
    OP
    Dom90

Ok should I pull out the Kribensis and put them in with the wild-caught Pelvicachromis in a 29g?

12. Butterfly

Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

She looks like she may be carrying eggs. Before she lays her belly will turn bright purple/Rosy. she will most likely lay her eggs in a protected place. Mine always lay inside a hollow head I have in my tank. The male and females both guard the eggs and the fry. They can get very aggressive if either are threatened.

Hope that helps.

carol

13. OP
    OP
    Dom90

Oh so she hasn't laid the eggs yet! So should I pull her out and put her in another tank?

14. Butterfly

Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

I personally would leave her alone and let her lay in the main tank. She's probably already scoped out a place to lay.

Carol

15. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Are you actively trying to breed them, or are you okay with losing the fry? If you want to keep the fry, you might want to consider putting the pair in their own tank after this round of egg laying (since they can't go with the other Pelvs and possibly hybridize).

16. OP
    OP
    Dom90

Ok will do, thanks for the advice!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2015
  17. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Ah, missed that. Thanks!

18. F

Fufu Valued Member Member

Just a heads up my kribs laid eggs like 3-4weeks ago but unfortunately they ate the eggs as it was their first batch

After that they acted really weird. Almost like a "break up". They are back together and looking like they are ready to try again

Just a heads up if you see this kind of behaviour

Fufu

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice