Is My Koi Suffering From Parasite Disease?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by thejrav, Apr 10, 2018.

1. thejrav

thejravNew MemberMember

Today I saw my koi rubbing its body against the pond wall a couple of times. I'm a bit paranoid that it might have started to get infected by parasites. The koi is new to the pond and he's the only koi therefore its skittish and rarely comes out of hiding. it makes me suspect whether has he been scratching itself even earlier without me noticing.

Should I start the salt treatment just to be on the safe side ?
    if so how much salt per liter should I add?
    How often should I add salt and for how long should I continue adding salt ?

Thanks in advance :)

2. Rainbows and Fishes

Rainbows and FishesValued MemberMember

I would start by looking closely at the animals skin and anus to see if you can directly observe and worms or other symptoms. Then we can move on to treatment whether that be with salt levamisole or something like API’s General Cure. If possible I’d try to quarantine him so your other fish are safe. These websites might be a good start  

3. Rtessy

RtessyFishlore VIPMember

It may be helpful to check out costia, it's a common koi parasite

4. OP
    OP
    thejrav

thejravNew MemberMember

thanks a lot, I didn't see any parasites on him but I assume that it has ich. I didn't go for any anti parasite chemical but I started to treat the pond with aquarium salt. hopefully it'll make him recover. thanks again :)

thanks a lot :)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2018

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice