Is My Koi Angel A Male?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish and Invertebrates' started by HobbyJohnny, Nov 13, 2017.

1. HobbyJohnny

HobbyJohnnyValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +16
    Experience:
    1 year
    Good morning my EST friends!

My girlfriend says my koi angel is 'calico' colored, aptly naming him Calico Jack. I am VERY much hoping it is a male, but I would like to know. I'll post a picture of my silver angel as well, as I would like to know if they are male or female! From what I have read, I am lead to believe they are a male and a female as their body types are much different, but a second opinion would be great! IMG_7738.IMG_7737.

Each one is roughly a year old, mature. They measure around 6 inches in heigh, and 3-4 inches in width. The koi is MUCH thicker as well, while the silver is a fraction of the koi. Also, I cannot tell if that is melanin or peppering on the silver. Any idea what that could be if it is not melanin?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 13, 2017
  2. UglyAsian

UglyAsianWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +390
    Experience:
    5 years
    Male, probably. The only visible way is to tell by the crown

3. Leslie.

Leslie.Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +45
    Experience:
    1 year
    Your Koi is definitely a male. His body is round, he has "forked" fins & has a visible crown. I have two angels. It was really hard to tell if they were male or female until they reached maturity. Your Silver Angel looks male too due to its shape & its fins.

4. Mcasella

McasellaFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +4,299
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    They both look male by the humped head, but unless they show breeding tubes you will never actually know as angels aren't sexually dimorphic (there can be females that have all the traits of a male or males that have all the traits of a female, you won't know if you have a pair unless they spawn and result in offspring.

5. OP
    OP
    HobbyJohnny

Ratings:
    +16
    Experience:
    1 year
    Thanks to all that replied! When I had them in a 30G tank, they showed 'some' aggression as they got older. So they may very well both be males. Now that they are in a 55, they kinda swim together in harmony, but sleep separate. Thank you again!!

6. bizaliz3

bizaliz3Fishlore LegendMember

Ratings:
    +17,147
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Normally I refuse to make a guess on angelfish gender unless I see the breeding tube. After having 14 different breeding pairs, I have been surprised too many times.

HOWEVER, that Koi does look very male to me. I think it is easier to mistake a female for a male than it is a male for a female.

I am not going to venture a guess on the silver.
    Do you see breeding tubes on them? At the size they are, I would think you would....

7. OP
    OP
    HobbyJohnny

Ratings:
    +16
    Experience:
    1 year
    Oddly enough.... I have yet to see any type of breeding tube coming out on them yet...

8. bizaliz3

bizaliz3Fishlore LegendMember

Ratings:
    +17,147
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Maybe it's two females then? But I would be shocked if that Koi is a girl. That one screams male to me.

9. Demeter

DemeterFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +3,532
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    He is quite handsome ;)

10. Leslie.

Leslie.Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +45
    Experience:
    1 year
    Do you know roughly how old they are? My angels didn't get their breeding tubes until like a month ago. They're roughly 10 months - 11 months old. I know somewhere says they reach maturity at 9 months, but I didn't see the tubes then.

11. Dave125g

Dave125gFishlore LegendMember

Ratings:
    +10,914
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Only a guess top male bottom female. Never really know until you watch them spawn.

12. aniroc

anirocWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +417
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    I am wondering how fish recognize the opposite sex the second they see it? I was looking to introduce a female to my lonely male. I could not tell whether or not I picked a female but my male started his courtship the second I dropped her in his tank.

13. Mcasella

McasellaFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +4,299
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    I'm leaning towards two males, i have had them peacefully together as long as they had space without them showing breeding tubes (i know they were males because they had spawned and shown them with females who also showed breeding tubes).

I had a reaction like this from one of my earlier pairs, i originally thought the female was a male because it had a very male personality.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2017
  14. Prism

PrismWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +487
    Experience:
    5 years
    I think the koi one is a male..
    I agree with above. ^^

All though, not to be the stocking police.
    It looks like you have a little problems with your stock, with 2 angels.

15. OP
    OP
    HobbyJohnny

Ratings:
    +16
    Experience:
    1 year
    What do you mean?

Thanks again to those that replied! In an effort to cover some of the topics, they are roughly 10-12 months old. I got them from my LFS when they were about the size of a 50 cent piece. As far as behavior goes, they used to frolic around together when they were younger and enjoy the finer things of fish life, and I knew they would outgrow my 30G. They never showed signs of aggression, other than that occasional play nip (not chasing just kinda like a fish kiss lol) but I moved them to my 55G and they tend to stay away from each other more. Could these characteristics make them male? I would like to see some striped koi or something later on ;)

16. Dave125g

Dave125gFishlore LegendMember

Ratings:
    +10,914
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I have found the females to be more aggressive then males. At there age they are sexually mature. If they were male female I would think they would have paired up by now. I'm changing my guess to 2 males, after hearing you describing there behavior.

17. Prism

PrismWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +487
    Experience:
    5 years
    Tanksize?

Oh, my bad. I read it wrong.
    I thought you had them both in a 33g.

18. OP
    OP
    HobbyJohnny

Ratings:
    +16
    Experience:
    1 year
    Nah, I knew they would outgrow the ole 30G, when I bought them, not but a few weeks later I bought a 55G to begin cycling. My beloved 30G is now a guppy/barb community :)