Is My Koi Angel A Male?

HobbyJohnny

Active Member
Member
Messages
64
Reaction score
16
Location
Oak Ridge, NC
Experience
1 year
Good morning my EST friends!

My girlfriend says my koI angel is 'calico' colored, aptly naming him Calico Jack. I am VERY much hoping it is a male, but I would like to know. I'll post a picture of my silver angel as well, as I would like to know if they are male or female! From what I have read, I am lead to believe they are a male and a female as their body types are much different, but a second opinion would be great!
IMG_7738.jpg
IMG_7737.jpg


Each one is roughly a year old, mature. They measure around 6 inches in heigh, and 3-4 inches in width. The koI is MUCH thicker as well, while the silver is a fraction of the koi. Also, I cannot tell if that is melanin or peppering on the silver. Any idea what that could be if it is not melanin?
 

Leslie.

Active Member
Member
Messages
68
Reaction score
43
Location
Pennsylvania
Experience
1 year
Your KoI is definitely a male. His body is round, he has "forked" fins & has a visible crown. I have two angels. It was really hard to tell if they were male or female until they reached maturity. Your Silver Angel looks male too due to its shape & its fins.
 

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
8,803
Reaction score
4,754
Location
Virginia
Experience
5 to 10 years
They both look male by the humped head, but unless they show breeding tubes you will never actually know as angels aren't sexually dimorphic (there can be females that have all the traits of a male or males that have all the traits of a female, you won't know if you have a pair unless they spawn and result in offspring.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #5
OP
HobbyJohnny

HobbyJohnny

Active Member
Member
Messages
64
Reaction score
16
Location
Oak Ridge, NC
Experience
1 year
Thanks to all that replied! When I had them in a 30G tank, they showed 'some' aggression as they got older. So they may very well both be males. Now that they are in a 55, they kinda swim together in harmony, but sleep separate. Thank you again!!
 

bizaliz3

Fishlore Legend
Member
Messages
15,436
Reaction score
19,008
Location
Minnesota
Experience
5 to 10 years
Normally I refuse to make a guess on angelfish gender unless I see the breeding tube. After having 14 different breeding pairs, I have been surprised too many times.

HOWEVER, that KoI does look very male to me. I think it is easier to mistake a female for a male than it is a male for a female.

I am not going to venture a guess on the silver.
Do you see breeding tubes on them? At the size they are, I would think you would....
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #7
OP
HobbyJohnny

HobbyJohnny

Active Member
Member
Messages
64
Reaction score
16
Location
Oak Ridge, NC
Experience
1 year
bizaliz3 said:
Normally I refuse to make a guess on angelfish gender unless I see the breeding tube. After having 14 different breeding pairs, I have been surprised too many times.

HOWEVER, that KoI does look very male to me. I think it is easier to mistake a female for a male than it is a male for a female.

I am not going to venture a guess on the silver.
Do you see breeding tubes on them? At the size they are, I would think you would....
Oddly enough.... I have yet to see any type of breeding tube coming out on them yet...
 

bizaliz3

Fishlore Legend
Member
Messages
15,436
Reaction score
19,008
Location
Minnesota
Experience
5 to 10 years
HobbyJohnny said:
Oddly enough.... I have yet to see any type of breeding tube coming out on them yet...
Maybe it's two females then? But I would be shocked if that KoI is a girl. That one screams male to me.
 

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
6,894
Reaction score
4,874
Experience
5 to 10 years
bizaliz3 said:
Maybe it's two females then? But I would be shocked if that KoI is a girl. That one screams male to me.
He is quite handsome
 

Leslie.

Active Member
Member
Messages
68
Reaction score
43
Location
Pennsylvania
Experience
1 year
Do you know roughly how old they are? My angels didn't get their breeding tubes until like a month ago. They're roughly 10 months - 11 months old. I know somewhere says they reach maturity at 9 months, but I didn't see the tubes then.
 

Dave125g

Fishlore Legend
Member
Messages
15,940
Reaction score
11,472
Location
upstate NY
Experience
More than 10 years
Only a guess top male bottom female. Never really know until you watch them spawn.
 

aniroc

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,248
Reaction score
441
Experience
5 to 10 years
I am wondering how fish recognize the opposite sex the second they see it? I was looking to introduce a female to my lonely male. I could not tell whether or not I picked a female but my male started his courtship the second I dropped her in his tank.
 

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
8,803
Reaction score
4,754
Location
Virginia
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'm leaning towards two males, I have had them peacefully together as long as they had space without them showing breeding tubes (I know they were males because they had spawned and shown them with females who also showed breeding tubes).

aniroc said:
I am wondering how fish recognize the opposite sex the second they see it? I was looking to introduce a female to my lonely male. I could not tell whether or not I picked a female but my male started his courtship the second I dropped her in his tank.
I had a reaction like this from one of my earlier pairs, I originally thought the female was a male because it had a very male personality.
 

Prism

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,494
Reaction score
534
Location
TX
Experience
5 to 10 years
I think the koI one is a male..
I agree with above. ^^

All though, not to be the stocking police.
It looks like you have a little problems with your stock, with 2 angels.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #15
OP
HobbyJohnny

HobbyJohnny

Active Member
Member
Messages
64
Reaction score
16
Location
Oak Ridge, NC
Experience
1 year
Prism said:
I think the koI one is a male..
I agree with above. ^^

All though, not to be the stocking police.
It looks like you have a little problems with your stock, with 2 angels.
What do you mean?

Thanks again to those that replied! In an effort to cover some of the topics, they are roughly 10-12 months old. I got them from my LFS when they were about the size of a 50 cent piece. As far as behavior goes, they used to frolic around together when they were younger and enjoy the finer things of fish life, and I knew they would outgrow my 30G. They never showed signs of aggression, other than that occasional play nip (not chasing just kinda like a fish kiss lol) but I moved them to my 55G and they tend to stay away from each other more. Could these characteristics make them male? I would like to see some striped koI or something later on
 

Dave125g

Fishlore Legend
Member
Messages
15,940
Reaction score
11,472
Location
upstate NY
Experience
More than 10 years
HobbyJohnny said:
Thanks again to those that replied! In an effort to cover some of the topics, they are roughly 10-12 months old. I got them from my LFS when they were about the size of a 50 cent piece. As far as behavior goes, they used to frolic around together when they were younger and enjoy the finer things of fish life, and I knew they would outgrow my 30G. They never showed signs of aggression, other than that occasional play nip (not chasing just kinda like a fish kiss lol) but I moved them to my 55G and they tend to stay away from each other more. Could these characteristics make them male? I would like to see some striped koI or something later on
I have found the females to be more aggressive then males. At there age they are sexually mature. If they were male female I would think they would have paired up by now. I'm changing my guess to 2 males, after hearing you describing there behavior.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #18
OP
HobbyJohnny

HobbyJohnny

Active Member
Member
Messages
64
Reaction score
16
Location
Oak Ridge, NC
Experience
1 year
Prism said:
Oh, my bad. I read it wrong.
I thought you had them both in a 33g.
Nah, I knew they would outgrow the ole 30G, when I bought them, not but a few weeks later I bought a 55G to begin cycling. My beloved 30G is now a guppy/barb community
 

New Threads

Similar Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
159
Guests online
3,013
Total visitors
3,172

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom