Is my kh too low

michaelsf90

Through research and the wonderful advice of people on here I'm getting a lot more of an understanding in water chemistry. Now my question is is my kh too low? Its buffered with crushed coral. Gh is between 4 and 5 and kh is 2. I have a 33 US Gallon with several fish and snails and a 5 US Gallon with red cherry shrimp. The ph of the larger tank is 7.2. When i do water changes which is once every roughly 5 days I add baking soda to raise the ph to 7 of the water from 6.6 from the tap. Same with the small tank except the small tank ph is 7.4. It seems to rise quicker. Another question is how can I raise kh without raising ph? And could I use something that has more benefit to the tank than baking soda? That wont affect snails and shrimp. I dose with seachem flourish for my plants but I only half dose due to the shrimp and snails. I dont inject any co2

MacZ

Another question is how can I raise kh without raising ph?

That is physically and chemically not possible.

Also all the readings you list in your post sound good, you wouldn't need baking soda at all. GH of 4-5 and KH of 2 is nothing to change about, pH between 6.5 and 7 as well.

Upvote 0

michaelsf90

That's what I thought. I dont get why the smaller tank ph is going higher tho yet kh is the same in both tanks? Is it because the shrimp are very little bioload? A simple sponge filter and not a 3 stage filtration filter?

I want the ph at 7.2 for my snails. An acidic ph isnt a very good environment for them

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
LowConductivity
Replies
Views
Lucifer93
Replies
Views
FathomtheFish