Is My Intake Too Strong?

Jennasoutherfranks

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I have a 55gal aqueon kit, came with the aqueon 75 filter, says its good up to 90 gallons. I've gotta brackish tank with lyretail mollies and F8 puffers. I've seen more than one fish get stuck to the intake. So I unplug it and they swim off. They all seem like they are pretty healthy. Is it possible that the filter intake is too strong for these fish? Is there some sort of diffuser I can get/make? I've been running the filter for little spurts while I can sit there and watch but I'm worried about toxicity building up fast. I have a light stock, 4 young F8s and 5 young balloon lyretail mollies in a 55gal. But I want to fix this situation asap.

Thanks.

johnbetta

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
this is what i would do get a sponge and put it over the in take that will help i had this trouble ages ago and thats how i fixed it very easy and cheap

aussieJJDude

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You can buy intake sponges or mesh to place over the intake.... looks a bit nicer and still fish friendly. If thats not your cup of tea, consider modding the intake by using a different intake that has a larger surface area... or cutting some larger holes into it...

SFGiantsGuy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
FYI, if by chance the sponge hole is too small or too big for the intake tube-thing to fit in securely, you may be required to purchase an adapter. Or, be sure to bring the intake tube with you, to measure the sponge's hole for your intake tube-thing.

Yes, the more good filter media, the better!

Jennasoutherfranks

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
SFGiantsGuy said:
FYI, if by chance the sponge hole is too small or too big for the intake tube-thing to fit in securely, you may be required to purchase an adapter. Or, be sure to bring the intake tube with you, to measure the sponge's hole for your intake tube-thing.
I totally would have gone in without it and screwed myself into 2 trips. Thank you!!!!

SFGiantsGuy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yeah I did that once, and it sucked having to drive back and forth, back and forth lol...

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom