Is My Honey Gourami A Male Or Female?

toran

Valued Member
Messages
325
Reaction score
86
Points
63
Experience
3 years
The LFS thought this is a female, first picture.The dorsal fin looks a little pointed. What do you guys think?

Also, the label said red dwarf honey gourami but two employees thought it is really a thick lip. From the two pictures can anyone tell what they are? The yellow and orange is my sunset honey gourami.
_20180501_173729.JPG
_20180501_174449.JPG

Thanks for your input.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #2

toran

Valued Member
Messages
325
Reaction score
86
Points
63
Experience
3 years
Well the pictures got turned around. Hope this isn't confusing!!!

First picture is sunset honey gourami.
 

aussieJJDude

Well Known Member
Messages
3,947
Reaction score
2,212
Points
298
Experience
More than 10 years
Yeah, its a thicklip. I will say, its common for common names to be used interchangeably - in mel, thicklip are called honey's - so if needed, avoid confusion by using their scientific name. On this forum, to avoid confusion we refer to one as thicklip and other as honey.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #5

toran

Valued Member
Messages
325
Reaction score
86
Points
63
Experience
3 years
aussieJJDude said:
Yeah, its a thicklip. I will say, its common for common names to be used interchangeably - in mel, thicklip are called honey's - so if needed, avoid confusion by using their scientific name. On this forum, to avoid confusion we refer to one as thicklip and other as honey.
I did notice the lips are bigger than my sunset honey gourami!

The two have been ignoring each other. Do honey and thick lip gourami get along, in the long run? They are in a 20 long.

I can return the new one, 2nd picture, but I'll keep him if they get along.
 

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Messages
9,143
Reaction score
6,105
Points
758
Experience
3 years
First picture is a Honey Gourami, and it's a male.
The second picture is a Sunset Thicklip, not a honey gourami. It's also a male.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #8

toran

Valued Member
Messages
325
Reaction score
86
Points
63
Experience
3 years
Fanatic said:
First picture is a Honey Gourami, and it's a male.
The second picture is a Sunset Thicklip, not a honey gourami. It's also a male.
Thanks for reply.

Can the two be housed together?
 

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Messages
9,143
Reaction score
6,105
Points
758
Experience
3 years
toran said:
Thanks for reply.

Can the two be housed together?
I was able to house mine in the same tank, but there were slight nipping and chasing.
You shouldn't have a problem!
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #10

toran

Valued Member
Messages
325
Reaction score
86
Points
63
Experience
3 years
Fanatic said:
I was able to house mine in the same tank, but there were slight nipping and chasing.
You shouldn't have a problem!
Sounds great.
 
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!





Top Bottom